Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.5 installation on LG gram 17 stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guyz... got caught up in sum odr work..! I updated from 10.14.6 to OS Catalina through Software Updates directly. Update was smooth, without any KPs. However, do install latest version of Clover 5070 and all the basic Kexts b4 upgrading. Also, VoodooI2C works in Catalina. I am also using VirtualSMC package Kexts instead of FakeSMC. Audio works for internal speakers and headphones after entering layoutID(alcid) as 21 in bootargs. Mic doesn’t work. Also, FT and Messages dont work as b4. Hav fun upgrading..!

Hi mirageuniverse85,
I follow your suggestion for upgrading Catalina, but it repeatedly reboot while booting. Could you share the EFI content for try?

@finalflash What adapter and antennae did you use to get the card to work?

@devilofspades I use a TP-Link AC600 USB dongle, as I need to figure out how viable m.2 WiFi is, given the slots are M key (socket 3) and WiFi is A/E key (socket 1). Once you install the driver from their site, it's great (connects faster than my older MBP's built-in WiFi). I'd also suggest a BT dongle that can do BLE, so it can support the widest variety of devices (my pre-BLE dongle on another Hackintosh can't connect to my new Logitech MX device, so it's time to upgrade for that machine).

so i did a bit more tinkering and discovered you can actually get bluetooth working by passing the intel bt module through to a vm and then disconnecting it. starts working immediately upon disconnecting and was able to sync headphones, etc just as expected. my assumption is it does the same them as when you boot into ubuntu, but this way you can just do it without having to reboot.

so i did a bit more tinkering and discovered you can actually get bluetooth working by passing the intel bt module through to a vm and then disconnecting it. starts working immediately upon disconnecting and was able to sync headphones, etc just as expected. my assumption is it does the same them as when you boot into ubuntu, but this way you can just do it without having to reboot.

Sounds about right. This definitely sounds like a firmware/other vendor-supplied code upload/initialization kext is required, which the Linux driver clearly has. I believe @RehabMan and/or @toleda have been involved (along with others) in getting broadcom uploads like this to work in the past. I wonder if they'd have any insights into getting the BT functionality to work without having to boot linux/run a linux vm.

One thing I've noticed is that in the System Report, the Bluetooth device section shows the manufacturer to be Ericsson, but the USB device section correctly identifies it as Intel.

One thing I've noticed is that in the System Report, the Bluetooth device section shows the manufacturer to be Ericsson, but the USB device section correctly identifies it as Intel.

interestingly enough in catalina the linux "patching" doesn't appear to work, and the device is still listed as an ericsson but with mostly null info (address, etc) unlike in mojave where it's still listed as ericsson beforehand but with actual values. i need to do some testing but think this should be fixable without the linux injection patching being needed.

i need to do some testing but think this should be fixable without the linux injection patching being needed.

That would be nice, as it would remove the need for a BT dongle. Still waiting to hear how that m.2 wifi card thing happened...that'd be a neat trick to pull off...wifi and bt with no dongles at all!

@finalflash What adapter and antennae did you use to get the card to work?

@devilofspades I use a TP-Link AC600 USB dongle, as I need to figure out how viable m.2 WiFi is, given the slots are M key (socket 3) and WiFi is A/E key (socket 1). Once you install the driver from their site, it's great (connects faster than my older MBP's built-in WiFi). I'd also suggest a BT dongle that can do BLE, so it can support the widest variety of devices (my pre-BLE dongle on another Hackintosh can't connect to my new Logitech MX device, so it's time to upgrade for that machine).

It is the following ones:

BCM94360CD/BCM94360CS2/BCM943224PCIEBT2 12+6Pin WiFi Bluetooth Card to NGFF(M.2) Key M Adapter for Mac OS
https://www.amazon .com /gp/product/B07JF3FBZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Willhom Replacement Bluetooth 4.0 Bt Wireless WiFi Airport Card BCM94360CSAX BCM943602CS for MacBook Pro Retina A1398 A1425 A1502 Mid 2012 2013 2014 2015 653-0194 802.11ac
https://www.amazon .ca /gp/product/B07F1QXC91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brand New 3Pcs Laptop Wifi Internal NGFF IPEX MHF4 IPX I-PEX Antenna for M.2 wireless wifi Network card Long Cable 20cm
https://www.aliexpress .com /item/32416654125.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2a7d4c4d87wrDv

Just find the equivalents at your local amazon or ebay, I have access to both USA and CA so that's why it is all over the place.

@finalflash where did you end up placing the antennae and what kind of signal strength and speeds are you seeing?

I'm tempted to try to figure out a solution to use the antennae LG built in, which I assume are in lid somewhere, but I don't recall seeing IPEX connectors to the module, so it's likely a lost cause. Without access to the inside of the lid, antenna placement is a pretty huge deal to get decent throughput, so I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

@finalflash where did you end up placing the antennae and what kind of signal strength and speeds are you seeing?

I'm tempted to try to figure out a solution to use the antennae LG built in, which I assume are in lid somewhere, but I don't recall seeing IPEX connectors to the module, so it's likely a lost cause. Without access to the inside of the lid, antenna placement is a pretty huge deal to get decent throughput, so I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Of the 3 antennae that can be attached, the third is Bluetooth and so that one is useless (I have it connected anyway). The other two, I snuck them under the motherboard so they are right under the keyboard on the right and left side of the laptop. The signal strength is excellent everywhere including University and malls.

If you want to connect them to your laptop antennae, you can with extenders. The ones I tried worked but the issue was when multi-booting, windows doesn't use the Mac wifi card and wouldn't have wifi (well not decent wifi). Linux recognizes both and will use whichever you want. Also, I have hope that I can get Bluetooth working on the original wifi card so I keep it connected lol.

Of the 3 antennae that can be attached, the third is Bluetooth and so that one is useless (I have it connected anyway). The other two, I snuck them under the motherboard so they are right under the keyboard on the right and left side of the laptop. The signal strength is excellent everywhere including University and malls.

If you want to connect them to your laptop antennae, you can with extenders. The ones I tried worked but the issue was when multi-booting, windows doesn't use the Mac wifi card and wouldn't have wifi (well not decent wifi). Linux recognizes both and will use whichever you want. Also, I have hope that I can get Bluetooth working on the original wifi card so I keep it connected lol.

@finalflash i did end up getting wifi to work with the same card you used but now for some reason i can't boot unless i specifically select verbose mode, and would really like to figure out whats going on. i've done a ton of research and troubleshooting and can't figure out why verbose mode of all things works. i've been hesitant to post anything because the last thing i need to hear is some @-hole telling me to rtfm. everything i've read with other people having the same issue seem to be resolved by going back to fakesmc but that didn't seem to work and seems to be a step backwards. would you mind sharing your config file?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back