Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.2 upgraded USB3 external drives now showing as USB2 (rear ports only - front ports report USB3 correctly).and thinks they're USB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H97N
CPU
I7 4790
Posted at the suggestion of Pilgrim, even though it seems to be an installation problem to me. Never-the-less, he thinks it ought to be here. Accordingly:

re-posted:

Can anyone help or advise in simple terms? I had a problem with my config.plist file and had to rebuild it from scratch. Now I keep a backup on a separate machine but that's by-the-by.

Right now, my USB external drives plugged into rear ports are showing up on the USB2 hubs. Nothing at all on the USB3 hub until I plug an external USB3 drive into one of the front ports. Which suggests to me I need a patch. I already did the PM Heart patch for 10.14.2.

Any thoughts from the world's most helpful forum?

Posted at the suggestion of Pilgrim, even though it seems to be an installation problem to me. Never-the-less, he thinks it ought to be here. Accordingly:

re-posted:

Can anyone help or advise in simple terms? I had a problem with my config.plist file and had to rebuild it from scratch. Now I keep a backup on a separate machine but that's by-the-by.

Right now, my USB external drives plugged into rear ports are showing up on the USB2 hubs. Nothing at all on the USB3 hub until I plug an external USB3 drive into one of the front ports. Which suggests to me I need a patch. I already did the PM Heart patch for 10.14.2.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/post-1405329

You could also follow the guide below, which I did a couple days ago and it worked great. Just follow the section about USB port mapping. It basically creates a customized kext for you to install. Much easier to follow than the SSDT guide IMHO.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-6-9.254559/

That's very kind of you but my tech skills are not up to it. There is one question though: should I do the find/replace in the config.plist AND load the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and FakePCIID.kext from the 'Other' folder?

The basic problem is that before the machine crashed, I had no problems with USB at all (though the advice relating to the find/replace/inject function may pertain); and I don't remember having the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext before now.

I'm sorry that my advanced age and non-advanced skills make me something of a dullard at this game...

That's very kind of you but my tech skills are not up to it. There is one question though: should I do the find/replace in the config.plist AND load the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and FakePCIID.kext from the 'Other' folder?

The basic problem is that before the machine crashed, I had no problems with USB at all (though the advice relating to the find/replace/inject function may pertain); and I don't remember having the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext before now.

I'm sorry that my advanced age and non-advanced skills make me something of a dullard at this game...

Sorry, but I have no idea about the FakePCIID stuff. I didn't need any of the additional kexts, which was nice for me. Maybe someone else will chime in here. I just thought the FB-Patcher guide might look a little less intimidating to you, as it certainly did to me. Every time I looked at the SSDT guide I broke out into a cold sweat.

Sorry, but I have no idea about the FakePCIID stuff. I didn't need any of the additional kexts, which was nice for me. Maybe someone else will chime in here. I just thought the FB-Patcher guide might look a little less intimidating to you, as it certainly did to me. Every time I looked at the SSDT guide I broke out into a cold sweat.

Yep. That rings a very loud bell...

Sadly even your greatly simplified summary gave me indigestion... thanks for the help though, not your fault I'm a dunce.

re-posted:

have a look of this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/usb-port-limit-patch-for-14-1-14-2.268893/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back