Intel i5-3570k
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone!

This is my first install and i've been having some issues.

So i have set up a USB drive with Unibeast. The install boots, i format my 1TB HDD with the correct information and the install starts. Heres where the issues start.

2 times already the install progresses to the point where it says that the time remaining is "About 2 minutes" and then the pc restarts automatically. I spam F12, boot from the usb and select the HFS (Mojave) partition, the install continues saying that it has "About 31 minutes remaining".

Then after a minute or so the pc reboots automatically again and i select the USB select the HFS (Mojave) parition and the install proceeds with it saying it has "About 30 minutes remaining" but after a minute an error pops up saying that "The target drive is too small". At this point i have no recourse but to reboot, after which no matter which option i select i get an error saying that the install resources are not found.

Any help with this issue would be greately appreciated. Thanks for your time guys. Cheers.

i get an error saying that the install resources are not found

If you have any other drives connected you should disconnect them while you install.

No other drives, just the one Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD.
i format my 1TB HDD with the correct information and the install starts. Heres where the issues start.

• If you have done everything correctly , I cannot find any reason for such a problem.
  • Therefore, the above part of your post needs more intense scrutiny for any clues.
  • Is the Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, a blank disk or previously used disk when you formatted?
  • Was Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices chosen before choosing Erase?
  • What Partition Scheme and Filetype for Format were used on that disk to "Erase" in Disk Utility?
  • Anytime during reboots after "copying files" began, did you find "Recovery disk:" icon on the Clover Boot Manager Screen before you saw the Error message "target drive is too small" ?

Is the Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, a blank disk or previously used disk when you formatted?
It's a previously used disk.
Was Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices chosen before choosing Erase?
I did show all devices, selected the "root" node of the HDD (named with the factory "code")
What Partition Scheme and Filetype for Format were used on that disk to "Erase" in Disk Utility?
I formatted it with Mac os extended (Journaled) and GUID partition Map
Anytime during reboots after "copying files" began, did you find "Recovery disk:" icon on the Clover Boot Manager Screen before you saw the Error message "target drive is too small" ?
No recovery disk image ever popped up. Also i dont think i ever saw the message "copying files" pop up anywhere.

Update/Solution:

I did something differently resulting in potential progress.

After the initial install reboot i selected the USB drive booted from HFS and the install continued saying "About 31 minutes remaining". After a minute or so the pc rebooted and this time instead of selecting to boot from the USB i selected the HDD and booted the HFS partition. The install progressed without any issues. It finished and a message popped up about the pc rebooting.

After rebooting i selected the HDD and in the boot manager i saw more boot options one of which was "Boot Mac os from Mojave". I selected this option and the system booted and i was prompted with the usual suite of system setup options, logging in with my Apple id etc. after which i run multibeast.

Additional note on this for posterity sake; During all of this, my usb drive was plugged in constantly.

Edit: If anyone comes across this post and is confused, message me ill respond. We dont want any of this happening

Update/Solution:

After the initial install reboot i selected the USB drive booted from HFS and the install continued saying "About 31 minutes remaining". After a minute or so the pc rebooted and this time instead of selecting to boot from the USB i selected the HDD and booted the HFS partition. The install progressed without any issues. It finished and a message popped up about the pc rebooting.

After rebooting i selected the HDD and in the boot manager i saw more boot options one of which was "Boot Mac os from Mojave". I selected this option and the system booted and i was prompted with the usual suite of system setup options, logging in with my Apple id etc. after which i run multibeast.

Additional note on this for posterity sake; During all of this, my usb drive was plugged in constantly.

Edit: If anyone comes across this post and is confused, message me ill respond. We dont want any of this happening

No recovery disk image ever popped up. Also i dont think i ever saw the message "copying files" pop up anywhere.

• Since others will be reading this post, let me add my 2¢:
  • "Copying files" is one of the first screens display message soon after you select the target drive to start macOS Installation. This usually follows 4-10 minutes remaining in the first part of installation.
  • macOS installation is a multi-reboot process.
  • After the initial copying of System files from the macOS Installer USB to the RAM (and then to the Erased Target Disk), the System reboots suddenly and almost unexpectedly for the uninitiated, at "2 minutes remaining".
  • It usually enters the Clover Boot Manager(CBM) Screen.
  • At this time, if you had started originally with a USB installer and Never Edited its config.plist_Gui _Hide Volume with Preboot, and a Blank (Never used) Target disk Disk the automatically created APFS on HFS+ J Formatted target disk would have created multiple disk icons which can confuse those who are new to how APFS formatting creates multiple disk icons.
    • To avoid this confusion, after creating macOSMojave installer USB , open its EFI>CLOVER>config.plist _Gui_Hide Volume and click the (+) and then type: Preboot [See image ]
  • Once you do that, you will get a CBM screen showing only your USB Installer as the device icon if you have blank HDD as target for Mojave installation [like in the uploaded image]
  • After Installation has started and during the first reboot you will see an an additional Device icon named Boot MacOS Install from MacOS .It is easier to chose Boot MacOS Install from MacOS [See image]
  • After several more reboots Recovery Disk will show up as the third icon in the CBM screen , provided you had not hidden Recovery in the Gui_Hide Volume.[See image]
  • Once this appears and you boot Boot MacOS Install from MacOS, the disk will reach Welcome screen

Attachments

• 1. macOSUSB Installer icon when using Blank HGDD:SSD as target..png
    1. macOSUSB Installer icon when using Blank HGDD:SSD as target..png
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • 2. Boot MacOS Install from Mojave .. added to CBM.png
    2. Boot MacOS Install from Mojave .. added to CBM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • 3. Last reboot Recovery Disk in CBM screen.png
    3. Last reboot Recovery Disk in CBM screen.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
Update/Solution:

• The macOS USB Installer Disk is the only device that has a CLOVER bootloader to help boot the Target macOS HDD/SSD until that target maCOS Disk gets its own CLOVER bootloader either using Multibeast on it or manually installing CLOVER and setting up all its contents and config.plist appropriately to make it bootable.
  • It must be obvious that without CLOVER containing USB Installer on USB port to guide the Mojave System Disk without its own CLOVER, the booting will end up in failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back