Contribute
Register

Mojave 10.14.5 installation on LG gram 17 stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bjjung that did the trick. not sure what i'm gonna do about the bluetooth yet. i don't use the webcam and have been debating stealing that usb bus but not sure i wanna go down that road given that i can get the intel bluetooth working using the workaround i mentioned in an earlier message.

one help i could use from the group is help with the dsdt for a memory upgrade. found a stick of 32gb that works with the hardware but ends up causing a kp during the boot process. pretty sure i need to rebuild the dsdt, but there seems to be an issue with the bios or something because it will not boot to any linux distro i try. i did run across someone else on sf having the same issue (it can't seem to locate the efi boot image on the install media) but there doesn't seem to be any solution. so i'm at this cross road where i can boot with the default memory, but if i swap out the removable module i can't get macos or linux to boot to building a dsdt using the new memory. i'll admit, i don't know enough about building a custom dsdt to know what my options are on this.

on a side note, i'm testing various usb-c chargers i'll provide feedback on once i find one that works well without any performance issues if anyone is interested.

one help i could use from the group is help with the dsdt for a memory upgrade. found a stick of 32gb that works with the hardware but ends up causing a kp during the boot process. pretty sure i need to rebuild the dsdt, but there seems to be an issue with the bios or something because it will not boot to any linux distro i try.

@devilofspades did you read and follow what I said in post #51 in this thread? If not, do so, as I describe how to get macos to understand the memory. Not sure why you'd have a problem with Linux, as it should pick up the module just fine, but fixing the memory info as I described (based on information I was able to find via searches, plus my own experimentation) may fix both, not just os x. Please report back.

Of the 3 antennae that can be attached, the third is Bluetooth and so that one is useless (I have it connected anyway).

@finalflash that may be the case for your card, but it very likely may not be. Without going into the technical details, that 3rd antenna is only present on the 3 stream cards, not the 2 stream cards. Generally speaking, an additional element in the phased array is what allows for the better signal-to-noise ratio, enabling the extra stream, not separation of the bluetooth transceiver, because there's probably only a single transceiver in the chip, that handles both and does baseband processing and mixing for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, using all 3 dual-band antennae (plus a couple of notch filters) for everything, and has a built-in transmit/receive switch for the antennae and signal processing on the chip to handle wifi/bluetooth coexistence...while it's more complex, it allows for better speeds and better co-existence. This is the evolution of the basic channel system that allows WiFi and Bluetooth to coexist using a single antenna at low speeds.

@UnknownWraith thanks for the reply, not sure how i missed your earlier post on the matter but it any case it's actually #48 not #51 if anyone else is curious.

for anyone interesting in a usb-c charger, model pds102w-4ut01 works great and seems to be the smallest one out there that has removable cables.

Last edited:
just a quick bluetooth update. so far no real progress with natively injecting bluetooth to the built in intel card. i do see however that on occasion with the broadcom patch kexts installed everything in the system report shows all the correct info except the manufacture still shows up as "Ericsson" and the firmware version is "0.0". the mac address and everything else is correct, but still doesn't work. as i mentioned before, using a virtual machine to get the firmware loaded works like a champ, so i wanted to see if i could optimize that process. i created a new linux vm that was cli only with bare minimum specs so it boots as quickly as possible. from there i passed the intel bt to the vm as before. now this is the cheeky bit... simply suspend the linux vm, that will relinquish the intel bt controller back to macos with all the firmware loaded. the advantage here is, the next time you need to do this you can simple un-suspend the linux vm with avoids needing to boot the vm (which is fairly quick anyways with a cli server distro) and then pass the bt controller back in and just re-suspend.

this may seem like a pain to some, but for those of us who use virtual machines on a regular basis this is all pretty trivial and works well for not needing to use a usb dongle. my next step is to automate this process to save myself the 4 or 5 clicks it takes to execute.

Hi guys, I also bought the 17z990 and now trying to install Mojave.

Thank you rdmitry for your clover contribution.

Here's what I got:

1) Did the LG update in windows
2) Create the installer using UniBeast (using a real Mac)
3) Replace Unibeast clover folder with rdmitry's
4) Set the BIOS as per the people suggested here
5) I removed the Win drive and left the blank SATA drive there, but don't think that matters but to play safe not to kill the win10 drive. I have 2 x SATA and none NVMe FYI.
6) The installer boots and then I encounter the same problem as vitapiubella, ie. the turn on/off bluetooth keyboard and mouse sign. Since the onboard bluetooth is not working, this is of cos a no go. I used a wired usb mouse and kb and that solves the problem. I can get the installer through.

After installation a few problems I'm am now facing.
1) No trackpad despite having Voodoo2c, VoodooHID, etc in the 'other' folder.
2) KB has the ALT keys as the 'command' key, I don't know how to change it to use the win logo button instead.
3) The screen resolution seems low even setting to the highest scaled.
4) I cannot change the direction of scroll. The option to change that so called 'natural' in Pref 'mouse' or 'accessibility' is missing.
5) There's a permanent eject icon on top.

So far I have the battery status and icon and percentage. The speakers are working. WIFI/BT is soldered into the mainboard so I'll be looking at external dongle, any dongle to recommend? Display brightness can be adjusted.

One thing I want to highlight during this installation is that you need to change the system time to last year, something like 1 Oct 2018, otherwise when you reach the install menu, it will prompt an error saying that the installer is damaged and cannot be used. Another method to change the time is using the Terminal and the 'time' command, but I found it easier to just do this in the BIOS. After install you can switch to auto sync time in the pref to get back the correct time.

If anyone has any kext to solve my problems, that would be perfect! Thanks in advance! :) I have attached a screen shot and the specs is wrong, but I don't care that. LOL!

EDIT: I tested the HDMI and it works BUT not fully. I plugged into my 4K tv, it can only scale 1080p max, but it will toggle between mirror mode and extension mode.

I tested the USB-c port with an ext drive, it works but I don't have any TB devices, so cannot confirm TB is also working.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-02 at 8.05.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-02 at 8.05.12 PM.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OK guys, a little update.

After I put back the win10 drive and boot into it, then restart and boot into mac, the track pad works but it doesn't feel very responsive. The 3 fingers drag and marquee selection function are not working.

The track pad now has the option to turn off 'natural' direction scrolling.

For wifi dongle, I bought the D-Link DWA-171 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CL58JYQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
It is really good and tiny. I registered a d/l speed of 172Mb/s and u/l speed of 179Mb/s, my internet is on 1Gb/s plan. Do note that you need to d/l the drivers from DLink site, it is Mojave compatible (ver. C). An extra bonus is that USB-c to LAN dongle that comes with the laptop, the driver can be d/l from Realtek site under FE family category.

The screen resolution is still a no go, it feels like 1600x900, everything looks big even with max scaled resolution. The ALT keys is still the command key. The eject icon is still there. HDMI still only outputs 1080p. Would really love to get the full res going. Any help here? :)

Lastly, a discovery is that TRIM is not default enabled on the SATA drive. Use Terminal and 'sudo trimforce enable' to turn on TRIM.

Best of luck with the hack guys! :headbang:

EDIT: I have over estimated the screen resolution. It is 1280x800, look at the system report. :crazy:

Attachments

• Screen res.png
    Screen res.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
OK guys, a little update.

After I put back the win10 drive and boot into it, then restart and boot into mac, the track pad works but it doesn't feel very responsive. The 3 fingers drag and marquee selection function are not working.

The track pad now has the option to turn off 'natural' direction scrolling.

For wifi dongle, I bought the D-Link DWA-171 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CL58JYQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
It is really good and tiny. I registered a d/l speed of 172Mb/s and u/l speed of 179Mb/s, my internet is on 1Gb/s plan. Do note that you need to d/l the drivers from DLink site, it is Mojave compatible (ver. C). An extra bonus is that USB-c to LAN dongle that comes with the laptop, the driver can be d/l from Realtek site under FE family category.

The screen resolution is still a no go, it feels like 1600x900, everything looks big even with max scaled resolution. The ALT keys is still the command key. The eject icon is still there. HDMI still only outputs 1080p. Would really love to get the full res going. Any help here? :)

Lastly, a discovery is that TRIM is not default enabled on the SATA drive. Use Terminal and 'sudo trimforce enable' to turn on TRIM.

Best of luck with the hack guys! :headbang:

EDIT: I have over estimated the screen resolution. It is 1280x800, look at the system report. :crazy:

@cloverbay well before anyone jumps on to say rtfm, you should do yourself a favor and research some of this on your own. not that no one wants to help you, but your problems are pretty straightforward and would be good info for you knowledge bank. that being said, i understand how frustrating it could be to be so close. in any case, these are your issues...

- the time issue you ran into is a multibeast issue, it corrupts the install on occasion. long and short, don't use it. you have all the clover files needed so just do that.

- thunderbolt definitely isn't working. you need to do some extra dtst work for that. i spent some cycles on it until i realized i don't have anything thunderbolt anyways and don't really care for now. if you get it working, pay it forward (or back) for others who may need the help.

- the trackpad kext isn't loaded during the install process due to the kext cache, same reason it doesn't work on reboot. just need to clear it, no windows-ness needed. as far as its responsiveness, it is what it is. i believe due to the material of the laptop it picks up various "noise" from around it. as an example, i can rest my palm on the left side of the case not touching the trackpad and it will cause it to not work. almost as if its missing some kinda palm rejection like on a multi-touch surface. plus it seams like the entire surface isn't one big trackpad and the right inch or so is a different sensor field meant for scrolling up and down in windows or something.

- they keys are mapped differently because it's a pc, again it is what it is. there is a 3rd party app to remap them if you want. google "karabiner", you can remap your hotkeys for screen brightness, etc. too.

- the eject icon is pretty standard macos. just command-drag it off like any other menu bar item.

- you're using a tv as your external monitor an it has a native 1080p panel, thats why your display is doing what it's doing. you need to override the native resolution with another 3rd party app. your built-in display can be changed the same way too. for reference, it's a 16x10 display so you would need a resolution that fits. so 1600x1000 rather than 1600x900 like you mentioned.

i think that covers all your topics. in summary, no "kexts" needed just some work and research on your part and you will be good to go.

I'm hoping some of the larger issues are solved by the time my 17 MacBook dies. Played around with one at CostCo briefly and the only thing I didn't like was the extreme glare. Gamut was ridiculously saturated but at least that can be fixed.

I'm hoping some of the larger issues are solved by the time my 17 MacBook dies. Played around with one at CostCo briefly and the only thing I didn't like was the extreme glare. Gamut was ridiculously saturated but at least that can be fixed.

which larger issues are you referring to? the two main ones are you'll have to swap out the drive, which while you're in there might as well throw in a native wifi card. other than that it's pretty straight forward. as far as the display, i'm not a photo or video person so i can't really gauge what it should look like. i just stare at code and cli terminals all day so for me it was about having a large screen with minimal weight, so it's perfect for that and saved me $2200 from the 16" mbp. those things feel like bricks compared to this feather. i'd be curious what color corrections would look like to improve it, but don't think i have a good enough eye to tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back