Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, I have the option of buying a non-modular PSU or a modular one. Which should I pick?

Tom

tinkerC said:
Ok, I have the option of buying a non-modular PSU or a modular one. Which should I pick?

Tom

Can I get the model and price? Links would be nice too. Obviously modular is better, but sometimes if the price is too far off then it's not worth it.

Well, the price for the modular is $120 for a Corsair HX650w one, and the other one is a Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply, for half the price.

Tom

Corsair's definitely the better brand, if you think you can afford it I'd go for the modular.

I don't know about Ultra's quality, but I heard that they were OK from user reviews.

If you don't want to pay $120 for a PSU (which I can't afford for sure) the Corsair TX650 is $80 (same 650W, just non-modular).

Also, take into consideration your case. If you have a nice big case with good airflow, it doesn't matter too much about modular/nonmodular. But if you have a mini tower or micro ATX case, then I'd look towards modular.

Edit: just looked at your case, you're fine (meaning you don't have to get a modular PSU).

Well, I heard that modular are:
a) cleaner
b) it is possible to put more of one type of connector in (8 HDs but only 4 SATA power things is no longer an issue).
c) last longer.

Are any of those true?

Tom

Well, I heard that modular are:
a) cleaner

Like less dirty? Well, you'll gather less dust. It's not like they're more efficient because you're not plugging in some cables. As long as you don't plug in the cables of non-modular PSU's, it won't take up that energy.

b) it is possible to put more of one type of connector in (8 HDs but only 4 SATA power things is no longer an issue).

You can do that with non-modular too, just get a connector adapter. Or split a connector.
Update: Most nonmodular PSU's around 500+ watts will have enough connectors - I can't imagine using all of them.

c) last longer.

Uh.. maybe they last longer because they're higher quality since you pay an extra 50% for modular. But I'm not sure about this.
Update: Maybe indirectly, by allowing a bit more airflow.. but c'mon, you have 6 fans in your case! At worst you'll have to get a towel to wipe down the cables twice a year.

Ok. I can afford either way. Which would you suggest? Oh, BTW, I am paying a grand total of $31 for all of my computer parts, just noticed and am very happy about that :)

Tom

tinkerC said:
Ok. I can afford either way. Which would you suggest? Oh, BTW, I am paying a grand total of $31 for all of my computer parts, just noticed and am very happy about that :)

Tom

Wait, what? $31? :eek:
Are you only buying some thermal paste and a fan?
Ok maybe it's a typo.

Anyways, seeing as you got a 975 extreme and a sweet case, why not just go modular? The Corsair HX650 is a wonderful PSU, and if I'm not mistaken, you have a 7 year warranty on it.

Edit: Yup!

Attachments

• yup.JPG
    yup.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 160
jimx86 said:
tinkerC said:

Tom

Wait, what? $31? :eek:
Are you only buying some thermal paste and a fan?
Ok maybe it's a typo.

Anyways, seeing as you got a 975 extreme and a sweet case, why not just go modular? The Corsair HX650 is a wonderful PSU, and if I'm not mistaken, you have a 7 year warranty on it.

Edit: Yup!

I will go modular then!

Yes, I said thirty-one dollars. Six for the mouse, three for the keyboard, 4 for Mac OS X, 2 for the DVD Drive, 9 for the Mugen-2, and 7 for the RAM

Free shipping on the: Thermal Paste, Hard Drive, Windows OS, Case, PSU, Graphics, LCD Screen, Motherboard, and Processor (which I get for 775 now!)

Tom

I will go modular then!

Glad I got to help you choose! :D

Yes, I said thirty-one dollars. Six for the mouse, three for the keyboard, 4 for Mac OS X, 2 for the DVD Drive, 9 for the Mugen-2, and 7 for the RAM

Free shipping on the: Thermal Paste, Hard Drive, Windows OS, Case, PSU, Graphics, LCD Screen, Motherboard, and Processor (which I get for 775 now!)

Oooooooohhh! So you mean $31 shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back