Graphics
None
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is an adjusted Pro build I'd like checked over please. I don't want to buy a setup for ML since people are still figuring out different issues, so Lion will work just fine for me, but in the future if I were to upgrade could I run into potential problems?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Motherboard: Replacing GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

GPU: Replacing AMD Radeon HD 6850 with GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Case: Doesn't matter

RAM: Replacing 16GB with 2x 4GB

PSU: Replacing Corsair 650W with Rosewill 530W ATX12V

It will work just fine, although I'm not sure why you would choose Rosewill for anything... Stick with the Corsair...

First time building a pc, didn't know it's not a good brand and I'm on a budget which is why I want to replace the corsair.

It's a decent brand, Corsair just has a bigger reputation.

I'm assuming the model I chose is still sufficient so I can look for the same thing in other brands?

I'm assuming the model I chose is still sufficient so I can look for the same thing in other brands?

Yeah you should be alright.

Just wondering why you are changing your graphics card to a 550ti?

The Radeon 6850 is a much better card, I am doing my first build and at first went with a 550ti but have since changed to a 6850.

The 6850 wins in almost very category!
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12

The link I put in my previous post shows the comparison between the two cards.

The 6850 has much better specs than the 550ti, it can also be overclocked to be only 10% less powerful than the 6870.

I do understand that $20 dollars can make a lot of difference when it comes to building a computer on a budget though!

At the end of the day buy what you feel fits what you need and make sure you spend what you are comfortable with.

For me the 6850 was only £5 less than a 550ti OC so was a brilliant buy, the 6870 was £20 more so I didn't feel that would be worth paying the extra for.

I have found eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to be a fantastic website for calculating power supply needs.

:)
Chris

Just thought I would update you on the whole 6850 situation.

I bought one however have had to send it back due to it now working with mountain lion.
I bought a XFX 6850 ZCFC version which as far as I can tell didn't work with lion either.
There are a lot of issues with the 6xxx series of graphics cards and mountain lion, you can get them working but it is a big faf!

Im considering buying a 550ti or waiting for the 650ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back