Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Modest Hackintosh with expendable future (in Israel) - Help =]

Hi,

A few things about me and then I'll ask my questions...

I definitely meet the "new to everything" standard but I also have a lot of software and even some hardware background.
Problem is, not for the past few years and unfortunately, in this world that basically means I know nothing.

I'm from Israel, which, leads to the first question...

Q1) I'm getting into editing and all that goes with it. That also includes a lot of work in Photoshop, all sorts of sound software but primarily, as you may have gathered, I'm going to buy Premiere and attend a course. What I'm looking for is a Hackintosh that will be good enough to carry my needs at a professional capacity but at the same time, one that doesn't cost "too" much.
It's not that I wouldn't want the very best, I simply can't afford the very best.
So... my first question is this - how do I shoot for something that I will be able to update and expend upon over time but can rely on a relative modest start?

Q2) I need it to be absolutely and totally sound proof because this computer will likely be stationed in a recording studio.
What does that entail? what is the best case and fan and everything else I'll need to make it absolutely sound proof?

Q3) Does anyone know what's available and what's unavailable in Israel?
I realise this question may be "far fetched" but buying a giant case from Amazon is probably unrealistic in view of custom fees.

Q4) Where can I find a specific list that specifies all the absolute necessities?
So, as an example, let's say 32gig of RAM is the very least I need and so on.

Q5) How much should I expect to pay even for a relatively modest and "cheap" hackintosh?

Q6) Which Premiere should I buy?
My only experience thus far has been with the one that is installed in the studio where I work and it is sooooo damnnn old! I'ts version 3! I mean, wow, I can't find any youtube tutorials for it anymore! It's so outdated. SO I need to buy my own and I suspect I'll be using Premiere and After Effects, don't honestly know much about the rest to pass judgment... suggestions?

Thanks in advance

David

Thanks.

Will go through it now.

Anyone else... suggestions?

For the kind of machine I think you want, & with a limited budget totally sound proof will not be achievable. Anyone that claims to be able to build a powerful machine that is silent has either spent a lot of money, is telling lies, or has an odd understanding of what silent means. I would suggest looking at the specs of the fans you want to use and choose ones that have the best acoustic specs. Having bigger fans that spin slower is a good thing, or more of them spinning slower. People will often think "oh I will only have one fan to make it quiet" but that one fan has to spin really quick to move enough air, making it loud.

Cost/budget is impossible to give a guide on as the exchange rate & component prices where you are will influence it. A spec that I may be able to build for £900 here may be much more expensive for you, or much cheaper. Check with your local suppliers.

As for availability in Israel it hard for advice to be given, as I'm not there right now. I'm there a bit and ofter look around some shops in TLV and they seemed to have a good level of stock. It has one of the best tech scenes in the world so I don't think you will have any issues getting hold of anything. You may just need to get the product codes for the components you want then get in touch with local distributors to see if they stock them.

It is hard to offer advice on which version of Premiere to get as you have no said what you want to do, as in listed the features you want to use. It may be better that you subscribe to CC to get the latest version.

OK.

I'm not sure what 'total sound proof' means.
I need it to be very quiet, as quiet as possible but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy a 2000$ case or anything silly like that.
The things that I want are within reason, the way I look at it. I'm not going to buy the 10-core Intel MB that costs 1800$.

My budget is about 5,000 to 6,000 shekels which is just about 1000£.
I don't have too many problems bringing some components from England as well since my wife is British and we go there a lot.

From what I could see, so far, we pretty much have most things so it shouldn't be a problem.
I saw both the MasterCooler case everyone seems to like and the one MKBHD used. Both are around 550 shekels which again, is about 100-150$.

I have to look into it some more.

The "problem" is that I can/will get an Avid version from the studio (which is obviously legal) but it runs on Windows and most people I work with here also work with windows which basically means that I may use windows for work and my mac for general use.

Dunno yet.

The "problem" is that I can/will get an Avid version from the studio (which is obviously legal) but it runs on Windows and most people I work with here also work with windows which basically means that I may use windows for work and my mac for general use.

Dunno yet.

This is not a problem. Just purchase another SSD/HDD for Windows and a Windows 7 Pro installation DVD and install. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back