i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I currently use a GA-Z97X-UD3H in my hackintosh and I'm thinking about updating my motherboard to the Z390 chipset motherboard. My plan is to start upgrading my current machine, but not at the same time since I don't have the money to buy all components at once. I would like to start with the motherboard, then CPU, GPU, etc. The main purpose of my machine is for 4K raw video editing and some VR reality gaming.

My questions are: will upgrading to this motherboard create any issues with my current hardware on my z97 machine?
Does it matter what brand of motherboard I get. My goal is to get the best performance overall form all components.

Thank you!

I currently use a GA-Z97X-UD3H in my hackintosh and I'm thinking about updating my motherboard to the Z390 chipset motherboard. My plan is to start upgrading my current machine, but not at the same time since I don't have the money to buy all components at once. I would like to start with the motherboard, then CPU, GPU, etc. The main purpose of my machine is for 4K raw video editing and some VR reality gaming.

My questions are: will upgrading to this motherboard create any issues with my current hardware on my z97 machine?
Does it matter what brand of motherboard I get. My goal is to get the best performance overall form all components.

Thank you!

If you want to use a Z390 motherboard in the future, you will also have to buy a new CPU and new DDR4 RAM as the CPU and DDR3 RAM you are using are not compatible with the new motherboard. If you were to just get a Z390 motherboard, you can't use it until you get the new CPU and new RAM.

You will probably be able to reuse the graphics card and other components for the time being.

Also, what version of MacOS are you running on your system now? If it is not High Sierra, you will also have to upgrade MacOS as the old version you are running is not compatible with the new hardware.

Last edited:
If you want to use a Z390 motherboard in the future, you will also have to buy a new CPU and new DDR4 RAM as the CPU and DDR3 RAM you are using is not compatible with the new motherboard. If you were to just get a Z390 motherboard, you can't use it until you get the new CPU and new RAM.

You will probably be able to reuse the graphics card and other components for the time being.

Also, what version of MacOS are you running on your system now? If it is not High Sierra, you will also have to upgrade MacOS as the old version you are running is not compatible with the new hardware.

I have High Sierra currently installed and planning on upgrading to Mojave when it is released. By the way, I just purchased the EVA 1080ti sc2 video card.
I'm glad you told me that the my current CPU, and memory was not going to be compatible with that motherboard because I wasn't going to buy all of them at once. At least now I know to get them together.
Just curious, does it matter if you use components different than your motherboard's brand? For example, is there any benefits to to using let's say, Gigabyte motherboard with the same brand video card, etc.

I have High Sierra currently installed and planning on upgrading to Mojave when it is released. By the way, I just purchased the EVA 1080ti sc2 video card.

I'm glad you told me that the my current CPU, and memory was not going to be compatible with that motherboard because I wasn't going to buy all of them at once. At least now I know to get them together.

Just curious, does it matter if you use components different than your motherboard's brand? For example, is there any benefits to to using let's say, Gigabyte motherboard with the same brand video card, etc.

I don't think there is any benefit in using motherboards and graphics cards from the same brand. I use a Gigabyte board and a Sapphire card myself.

I don't think there is any benefit in using motherboards and graphics cards from the same brand. I use a Gigabyte board and a Sapphire card myself.
Thanks a bunch Jamesbond007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back