Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
CPU
Intel i7-5820K
Graphics
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X OC EDITION
As the title states I have a MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition motherboard and want to create a dual boot system on two drives; one drive with Mac OSX and the other Windows 10. When I built my desktop I didn't know or think about Hackintosh compatible hardware at the time.

This will be my first Hackintosh build and I know this motherboard is not on the supported list. I saw someone else posted regarding this mobo already but didn't have any replies (the post is here).

My Goals:
  • As stated, a dual boot system with Mac OSX and Windows 10 on separate drives.
  • Able to use my GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB WINDFORCE as best as possible (I'm wanting to use it for Machine Learning processing).
  • Run the latest (at best), or at least close to latest version of Mac OSX.
  • Have most things running - without restarts, hiccups, issues, etc.

My Questions:

1. Am I better off selling this motherboard for one of the Tonymacx86 supported/recommended motherboards. (Note I really love this mobo but if it's easier I can sell it).
  2. When building a dual boot system with two drives, I want to keep my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 drive. My new drive will be an AHCI drive (which I've read is much easier to get working with Mac OSX). Will this be a huge pain when trying to build a dual boot system as stated?

I really appreciate all advice/help here. I love Mac OS X and only have so much money I can spend to make it happen. I can't afford to purchase another piece of hardware that isn't compatible with building a Hackintosh. Thanks!

As the title states I have a MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition motherboard and want to create a dual boot system on two drives; one drive with Mac OSX and the other Windows 10. When I built my desktop I didn't know or think about Hackintosh compatible hardware at the time.

This will be my first Hackintosh build and I know this motherboard is not on the supported list. I saw someone else posted regarding this mobo already but didn't have any replies (the post is here).

My Goals:
  • As stated, a dual boot system with Mac OSX and Windows 10 on separate drives.
  • Able to use my GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB WINDFORCE as best as possible (I'm wanting to use it for Machine Learning processing).
  • Run the latest (at best), or at least close to latest version of Mac OSX.
  • Have most things running - without restarts, hiccups, issues, etc.

My Questions:

1. Am I better off selling this motherboard for one of the Tonymacx86 supported/recommended motherboards. (Note I really love this mobo but if it's easier I can sell it).
  2. When building a dual boot system with two drives, I want to keep my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 drive. My new drive will be an AHCI drive (which I've read is much easier to get working with Mac OSX). Will this be a huge pain when trying to build a dual boot system as stated?

I really appreciate all advice/help here. I love Mac OS X and only have so much money I can spend to make it happen. I can't afford to purchase another piece of hardware that isn't compatible with building a Hackintosh. Thanks!

(1) I am not sure about the chances of getting your motherboard to work with MacOS. It certainly won't be as straightforward as the current Kaby Lake motherboards and CPUs since these are natively supported by MacOS Sierra and High Sierra. However, if you want to sell your motherboard, your CPU (5820K) will be useless since the new motherboards require its own set of CPUs. So if you decide to sell you need to sell both motherboard and CPU. Also the highest powered CPU in the Kaby Lake family (7700K) is quad-core (4) while the 5820K is a hexa-core (6). So if your application is multi-threaded it may be better to retain your current system.

If you really are serious about getting MacOS to run with the least amount of issues, it may be better for you to sell your motherboard and CPU and use that money towards a Kaby Lake motherboard and CPU.

(2) Disconnect the other drive when you install Windows / MacOS onto a drive, to make sure the installation process does not write anything to the other drive. That way you can be sure both OS work well before trying to setup dual boot.

One other thing, you need a computer running MacOS in order to be able to download the MacOS installer. Do you have access to such a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back