intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,
I had 10.8.4 working beautifully on my probook 4530s (core i3-2350M), along came Mavericks & I couldn't resist the temptation to upgrade the minute I saw Rehabman's guide pop up! Unfortunately things didn't go that well. Followed the instructions to the letter, after successful install, on the following first boot from usb when you choose the laptop hard drive as boot device, I get the Apple logo and then kernel panic notification, specifically:

"Attempt to re-register power management interface-- AICPM present in xcpm mode7"
A bunch of hex, then:
"Kernel extensions in backtrace, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagemant(216), etc. etc.

to my newbie eyes, it seemed to be CPU id related, so I ignored caches (-f) and booted to desktop. Once there I deleted my dsdt & ssdt in "extras" recreated them (or so I thought) using latest Probook installer, and rebooted. Now I don't get a kernel panic, just grey screen & Apple logo with spinning progress disk. I'm a newb, willing to put in the work, but really don't want to mess up user accounts, as some needed data is there! Any guidance?

I'm a newbielooking for some guidance

Hello all,
I had 10.8.4 working beautifully on my probook 4530s (core i3-2350M), along came Mavericks & I couldn't resist the temptation to upgrade the minute I saw Rehabman's guide pop up! Unfortunately things didn't go that well. Followed the instructions to the letter, after successful install, on the following first boot from usb when you choose the laptop hard drive as boot device, I get the Apple logo and then kernel panic notification, specifically:

"Attempt to re-register power management interface-- AICPM present in xcpm mode7"
A bunch of hex, then:
"Kernel extensions in backtrace, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagemant(216), etc. etc.

to my newbie eyes, it seemed to be CPU id related, so I ignored caches (-f) and booted to desktop.

It is actually stated in the guide that you must use "-f"...

Once there I deleted my dsdt & ssdt in "extras" recreated them (or so I thought) using latest Probook installer, and rebooted. Now I don't get a kernel panic, just grey screen & Apple logo with spinning progress disk. I'm a newb, willing to put in the work, but really don't want to mess up user accounts, as some needed data is there! Any guidance?

I'm a newbielooking for some guidance

You could have followed the guide... but... now it comes down to what options did you choose in the ProBook Installer?

I reread the guide, and I think I followed it correctly, I used "-f" after initial install and got to desktop without the panic. Now that I'm writing this, I'm realizing the panic started after I did the Probook 6.1.8 install, and I have a feeling I chose wrong Chipset variant (I have Sandy bridge). Head spinning now... Reinstalled upgrade (really trying to avoid reformat due a ton of pictures on drive) pictures I should've dumped on a separate partition... Post reinstall same situ. If I boot initially to usb, then choose system drive with -f, I get grey apple screen with whirling disk for a while, then the disk freezes. I'm sure the OS is loaded, as the HD activity light does its usual pattern, then wifi enabled light illuminates, and caps lock toggles when keyed. Tried with safe mode with verbose, verbose ends with succesful boot message or something along those lines, but it doesn't switch over to the gui... -f -x produces same grey screen frozen disk. I know I have to learn the ropes, but can you save me chasing my tail and point me in the best direction? Obviously I can do a total reformat as a last resort, but there's gotta be a way to get to that /extra folder!

I reread the guide, and I think I followed it correctly, I used "-f" after initial install and got to desktop without the panic. Now that I'm writing this, I'm realizing the panic started after I did the Probook 6.1.8 install, and I have a feeling I chose wrong Chipset variant (I have Sandy bridge). Head spinning now... Reinstalled upgrade (really trying to avoid reformat due a ton of pictures on drive) pictures I should've dumped on a separate partition... Post reinstall same situ. If I boot initially to usb, then choose system drive with -f, I get grey apple screen with whirling disk for a while, then the disk freezes. I'm sure the OS is loaded, as the HD activity light does its usual pattern, then wifi enabled light illuminates, and caps lock toggles when keyed. Tried with safe mode with verbose, verbose ends with succesful boot message or something along those lines, but it doesn't switch over to the gui... -f -x produces same grey screen frozen disk. I know I have to learn the ropes, but can you save me chasing my tail and point me in the best direction? Obviously I can do a total reformat as a last resort, but there's gotta be a way to get to that /extra folder!

First of all, you could let us know what you selected in the ProBook Installer, and more details about your hardware (4530s with standard screen, or have you updated the screen). You could post your /var/log/install.log. I suspect you selected the wrong screen type when you chose your DSDT options (because that's what it sounds like).

Can you boot with DSDT=Null?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back