Contribute
Register

ML not to support older Mac hardware??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
CPU
Graphics
GTX480
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I read that ML will not support older Mac hardware like a 2008 Macbook Pro wont work? They sited speed performance issues. Really?!

Thanks.

Here are a list of the Macs that are supported in Mountain Lion:

iMac (mid 2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

This means the following Macs which are supported under OS X Lion will not be able to run Mountain Lion (model identifiers in parentheses):

Late 2006 iMacs (iMac5,1, iMac5,2, iMac6,1)
All plastic MacBooks that pre-date the aluminum unibody redesign (MacBook2,1, MacBook3,1, MacBook4,1)
MacBook Pros released prior to June 2007 (MacBookPro2,1, MacBookPro2,2)
The original MacBook Air (MacBookAir1,1)
The Mid-2007 Mac mini (Macmini2,1)
The original Mac Pro and its 8-core 2007 refresh (MacPro1,1, MacPro2,1)
Late 2006 and Early 2008 Xserves (Xserve1,1, Xserve2,1)

Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/16/mountain ... ac-models/

this kinda news make me more decide more toward Hackintosh more and more everyday.

I dont see my Macbook Pro late 2008 model in the yays nor nays lists, but i bet it would work just fine even since i just upgraded to a ssd harddrive its speedier than ever!

Also I bet it could be nudged into working and would not be breaking any copyright laws as it will be running on a real mac!

I was wondering...can't a real mac be hacked as Hackintoshes,in order to change System Definition?

Probably, but the real question is will the components be supported? I would bet you could use old lion kexts if you had to but im not 100 percent sure.

Given the amount of money Apple require of people who buy their hardware, they throw their customers under the bus much too quickly. Moving Mac OS further towards an iOS style walled garden is really beginning to worry me as well.

OSX 10.8 is going to drop support for 32 bit kernel extensions, so anyone running hardware that requires 32 support like the intel x3100 chip won't be able to run Mountain Lion.

It works on my MacBook Pro 3.1 17"

I was kind of disappointed that it will not support my MacPro 1,1. I have found a way to get it to boot but you have to alter the installer(not going to say how or where because it would violate the EULA and my developer account). It does support my MacBook Pro though which is the early 2008 model (last one before the UniBody versions shipped) because it boots with a 64 bit kernel. Do I find it annoying that my MacPro is a very capable machine with Lion and would handle ML just fine I do see the logic Apple has. If you take a look at the PowerPC machines and see where the cut off for Leopard was it makes sense. You have to make a cut-off somewhere, for two reasons a. to get people to upgrade to a new machine which will benefit them especially if it is for a business and b. it keeps people from complaining that the "newest" OS will not run properly on "my perfectly good 7 year old computer". We do not want to become MS and start pissing people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back