Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyas Toleda, thanks for the quick reply! I verify GPU PM two ways; I check the entries in IORegistryExplorer to see if AGPM is present, and I check the Console log. Here is the expanded result (Using nVidia Retail drivers with IGPU disabled in BIOS and no boot.plist EFI string for HD4000):

As you see, I am getting backwards results that are driving me crazy. It seems I can not get SS and proper GPU AGPM working together. In the 660 Ti thread users report MacPro works best for their GTX 660 Ti. My experience mirrors that. My question is, do you know if there are any other dependancies that are loaded using MacPro smbios, that does not for MacMini?
Take note of the PM summary in Post #1. You can use the Ivy Bridge SSDT with Ivy Bridge sysdefs, no exceptions. MacPro with x86PlatformPlugin is not good. You are better off with the native ssdt. Your macpro IOReg confirms the configuration should be avoided. It looks like the X86PlatformPlugin interferes with AGPM on non Ivy Bridge sysdefs.

The macmini IOReg looks correct. CPU PM is good, AGPM should be verified with the specs of your card (16 power states currently enabled) I would recommend enabling your HD4000; it also gives you AirPlay Mirroring. For HD4000 PM, edit your dsdt (GFX0) or AGPM (IGPU) to be the same.

For HD4000 and Nvidia Graphics, see Mountain Lion: HD3000/HD4000 with AMD or Nvidia, Working Together.

Regarding the 660 ti OpenGL problem, off topic. The only difference I know of between macmini and macpro is the previously noted AGPM; hard to believe that PM would result in driver errors. Regarding HD4000 shared memory, that is set by OS X based on total installed RAM; 512MB with 8GB or more. That may change in a future release.

I did get one error when running the SSDT script which informed me that macmini6,2 is not in the PlatformSupport plist. But i assume this is because i am not on the very latest version of 10.8.2 (i now get an update notification in app store, but i am reticent to install it and will probably wait for 10.8.3).

One last thing i would note is that i am never seeing a 12x p-state, as many have reported idling at 1200mhz. Mine seems to idle at 1600, no lower. Would be interested to know what that is.
Intel has documented the performance benefit of Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge is small. The big advantage in Ivy Bridge is power; similar performance with less power. A user saw 20% less power at the plug with IB PM vs. SB PM.

10.8.2 (12C60) does not have IB Board-IDs, the 10.8.2 supplementals do.

The x12 was included in the original IB ssdts attached to Post #1. PikeRAlpha reviewed the Intel specs and determined the minimum desktop processor is 1600MHz. He is currently investigating a low power mode available in W8. On my machine, I use x12 at my risk.

Intel has documented the performance benefit of Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge is small. The big advantage in Ivy Bridge is power; similar performance with less power. A user saw 20% less power at the plug with IB PM vs. SB PM.

10.8.2 (12C60) does not have IB Board-IDs, the 10.8.2 supplementals do.

The x12 was included in the original IB ssdts attached to Post #1. PikeRAlpha reviewed the Intel specs and determined the minimum desktop processor is 1600MHz. He is currently investigating a low power mode available in W8. On my machine, I use x12 at my risk.

Thanks this clarifies some things. The interesting thing is that I am on 12C3006, which was an early version of the 2012 MBA / rMBP supplemental update, and the OS seems to have some parts, but not all the parts that recognize the new Mac mini for instance. Please let us know how your evaluation of 12x goes and if it is totally stable i would love to edit my SSDT for this. Also this may be getting off topic but what is the best way to tell your getting full AGPM support. I see entries for it under each graphics controller in my ioreg but they are pretty minimal.

Otherwise i am eagerly awaiting 10.8.3 and hopefully some further driver improvements and full system recognition of the Mac mini 6,2.
Many thanks for your great developments!
g\

Please let us know how your evaluation of 12x goes and if it is totally stable i would love to edit my SSDT for this.
g\

Great post @genzai, I too would be very interested in the 12X.

If the problem is macmini6,2, macpro3,1 information is useless. Suggest, run the latest version of ssdtPRGen.shm install the ssdt and attach the dsdt, ssdt and a macmin6,2 IOReg.

here I am Toleda :)

I have tried only 6,2 without your ssdt and the results of geekbench are 10300 points ; with your ssdt i obtain 2600 point ...this just for my curiosity :)

if it's relevent, this is my actual bootlist:

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Blackosx_Default_II</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

let me know thanks again for helping :) :) :)

PS: I have gt640 too, do you suggest to use the nvidia driver even if i'm using only 2 displays ?

Attachments

• 4toleda.zip
    507.4 KB · Views: 83
I have tried only 6,2 without your ssdt and the results of geekbench are 10300 points ; with your ssdt i obtain 2600 point ..

PS: I have gt640 too, do you suggest to use the nvidia driver even if i'm using only 2 displays ?
Try PikeRAlpha's latest script, Post #1, SSDT generation script (Ivybridge PM). No need to update the Nvidia drivers.

The interesting thing is that I am on 12C3006, which was an early version of the 2012 MBA / rMBP supplemental update, and the OS seems to have some parts, but not all the parts that recognize the new Mac mini for instance.
The only piece missing for IB PM in 10.8.2 is macmini6,1 and 6,2 Board-IDs in PlatformSupport.plist. What else is missing?

Edit: Added IB PM for clarification.

The only piece missing in 10.8.2 is macmini6,1 and 6,2 Board-IDs in PlatformSupport.plist. What else is missing?

ICBW, but I think that IOGraphicsFamily, AMDRadeonAccelerator, as well as IOPCIFamily, are modified in the 10.8.2 supplemental update.

Hey guys how do i check if my GPU pm is enabled thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back