Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
ML Download issues on App Store

I'm not on a fast internet connect at home and can only download ML about 1gb every 2 to 3 hours. The problem is, there seems to be some kind of bandwidth cap on my service. I just noticed it stops when reaching 2gb+ and then there is the frequent time outs too.

iTunes does not allow me to continue when the download stops and causes a corrupt download can't install issue. I've contacted support and their only suggestion was to pause the download every now and then and continue when possible. This doesn't really work, when I pause the download and restart the computer it sometimes doesn't allow me to continue where I left off, or when I'm downloading and don't notice the download time out... the package gets corrupted automatically.

I started digging for the files, hoping to trick iTunes into thinking that the download files can be re-introduced into their respective folders. Below are the steps i've taken to try and back the files up...

I noticed a folder is created when you start downloading the ML package. After a given period of time, I pause the download and back the files below. I may have 3 sets of back ups during these incremental backup, 1gb+ to around 2gb+.

account name > library > AppStore
• manifest.plist

account name > library > AppStore > ######### (# = a sequence of 9 random numbers)

Contents are as follows ...
• flyingicon
• mzps###################.pkg (# = a sequence of 19 random numbers)
• preflight.pfpkg
• receipt

backed up the com.apple.appstore. opened Finder and accessed "GO" menu and clicked "Go to Folder" and typed in ~/Library/Caches/

The method above is a complete failure. When I re-insert the files, it does not continue from where it left off. Another method i've tried is to pause a new download and copy over the package... it just zeros the file out and re-initiate a new download.

Does anyone know of a method that will let me hack into a file (even from a binary level) to trick iTunes to continue downloading where it left off?

:!: Help please!

You cannot purchase or download OS X Mountain Lion from iTunes, only from the Mac App Store. If your internet connection speed sucks, then talk to your ISP about increasing your speed or cap amount.

I'm not on a fast internet connect at home and can only download ML about 1gb every 2 to 3 hours. The problem is, there seems to be some kind of bandwidth cap on my service. I just noticed it stops when reaching 2gb+ and then there is the frequent time outs too.

iTunes does not allow me to continue when the download stops and causes a corrupt download can't install issue. I've contacted support and their only suggestion was to pause the download every now and then and continue when possible. This doesn't really work, when I pause the download and restart the computer it sometimes doesn't allow me to continue where I left off, or when I'm downloading and don't notice the download time out... the package gets corrupted automatically.

I started digging for the files, hoping to trick iTunes into thinking that the download files can be re-introduced into their respective folders. Below are the steps i've taken to try and back the files up...

I noticed a folder is created when you start downloading the ML package. After a given period of time, I pause the download and back the files below. I may have 3 sets of back ups during these incremental backup, 1gb+ to around 2gb+.

account name > library > AppStore
• manifest.plist

account name > library > AppStore > ######### (# = a sequence of 9 random numbers)

Contents are as follows ...
• flyingicon
• mzps###################.pkg (# = a sequence of 19 random numbers)
• preflight.pfpkg
• receipt

backed up the com.apple.appstore. opened Finder and accessed "GO" menu and clicked "Go to Folder" and typed in ~/Library/Caches/

The method above is a complete failure. When I re-insert the files, it does not continue from where it left off. Another method i've tried is to pause a new download and copy over the package... it just zeros the file out and re-initiate a new download.

Does anyone know of a method that will let me hack into a file (even from a binary level) to trick iTunes to continue downloading where it left off?

:!: Help please!

v33

I would suggest you call Apple support on this as it appears to be as you say some sort of network issues,
Apple maybe able to find a solution
Suggest some sort of FTP server
But if you're getting capped by your ISP then I would call then to see if they can lift the ban for 24 hours and try again.

Or you may have to take the rig over to someones elses house / work to get it to download w/o any issues. Starbucks!!!

Suggest checking w them as to their issues w the network. Some driving maybe involved.

You cannot purchase or download OS X Mountain Lion from iTunes, only from the Mac App Store. If your internet connection speed sucks, then talk to your ISP about increasing your speed or cap amount.

sorry, i was in a hurry and kept referencing iTunes instead of the Mac App Store.
yes my speed sucks, but i can't get this type of support from them because i am on a prepaid line. upgrading is not an option right now, i just had my adsl cut and downgraded.

v33

I would suggest you call Apple support on this as it appears to be as you say some sort of network issues,
Apple maybe able to find a solution
Suggest some sort of FTP server
But if you're getting capped by your ISP then I would call then to see if they can lift the ban for 24 hours and try again.

Or you may have to take the rig over to someones elses house / work to get it to download w/o any issues. Starbucks!!!

Suggest checking w them as to their issues w the network. Some driving maybe involved.

I did contact Apple Support, but through email. I've just had my landline cut due to none usage, trying to cut some bills. calling via my mobile will be too expensive, 1 800 numbers will be billed by minutes used.
The ISP is monopolized here by a single company, other ISP have bandwidth caps of 800mb... this is already the best of the prepaid wifi usb stick service for its price/usage.

I've already contemplated on carrying my rig to a friend place, it's a bit of a drive and the problem is i don't own a car nor do i know how to drive. hehe
I am from a family of none drivers/car owners and take a cab everywhere. so bringing my rig to starbucks will be a feat, imagine setting up a mid server case with a 23 inch monitor at startbucks.

_______

Anyways, thanks to you guys for all the suggestions... wish me luck!

sorry, i was in a hurry and kept referencing iTunes instead of the Mac App Store.
yes my speed sucks, but i can't get this type of support from them because i am on a prepaid line. upgrading is not an option right now, i just had my adsl cut and downgraded.

I did contact Apple Support, but through email. I've just had my landline cut due to none usage, trying to cut some bills. calling via my mobile will be too expensive, 1 800 numbers will be billed by minutes used.
The ISP is monopolized here by a single company, other ISP have bandwidth caps of 800mb... this is already the best of the prepaid wifi usb stick service for its price/usage.

I've already contemplated on carrying my rig to a friend place, it's a bit of a drive and the problem is i don't own a car nor do i know how to drive. hehe
I am from a family of none drivers/car owners and take a cab everywhere. so bringing my rig to starbucks will be a feat, imagine setting up a mid server case with a 23 inch monitor at startbucks.

_______

Anyways, thanks to you guys for all the suggestions... wish me luck!

v33

As you explained your situation
have you explained this to Apple Support in that Email

If you have paid for this and your not getting it then its up to Apple to rectify the situation for you - Happy Customer.

I would suggest that you contact Apple again and have them call you - you can receive calls free - yes!

IN the USA the OSX is a Download but that is not whats so in other parts of the world where Apple Sells.

If your persevere you should be victorious.

Their has to be a way. What about uncles or distant relatives that maybe computer savy.

Anyways sorry to hear your plight of issues w network dude!

If you live in America welcome to the third World.....

ML Download issues on App Store

Finally, successfully downloaded ML 10.8.4 and created an install disc using Unibeast 2.01. Took quite a while, 8 hours to download 4.4gb.

Anyways, now i'm stuck at having to boot ML using safemode (-x). For some reason the USB 2 devices are not being detected properly, I don't have access to the internet and can't mount my usb thumb drives. Without access to my usb sticks, i had to re-connect my SL drive and access the internet to download the latest MultiBeast... so i'm going to just copy the files over to the ML drive and run it. Wish me luck again! hehe

Also, i cant seem to find the information on how to back up the downloaded ML from the app store. I'm thinking of erasing my 80gb to use it as backup for some old files. ML is now on a new .5tb sata 2 drive which may be again moved to a newer 1tb sata 3 drive in the very near future.

Back to reading...

Thanks totenkopf4 for all the support! I don't think i could have gone this length without your valued input, specially with SL.

update: re-installed ML, i think i corrupted it by trying lots of stuff the other day.

finally got my internet usb wifi stick working. i purhcased a D-Link DWR-112 which allowed me to install the wifi and printer. hopefully this would make the transition/configuration easier.

also bought a usb hub, but seems like its either not being detected or my thumb drives are really not being read by 10.8.4.

time to download nvidia drivers and MultiBeast and reconfigure ML!

2nd update:

after successfully installing ML, i've run MultiBeast and choose Chimera 2.1.1 as the bootloader and DSDT no DSDT and restarted the comp... on load, it freezes with a white screen even when in safe mode. i never noticed any issues during verbose mode.

what gives??? back to reading... reinstalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back