Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Twin Frozr
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dear expert Hackintosh people. Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to explain to a complete noob the art of Hackintosh without his head exploding from all the technical jargon. Here goes...
This will go one of two ways. Complete indifference from the community :problem: :confused: ...or one very happy man with a working Customac :p:clap::D:thumbup:

System: Dual Boot - OS X to run Logic Pro X and Win for Cubase..so Audio production mostly but with general computing and a little light gaming thrown in.

i7 5820k
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
Asus X99-Pro
MSI GTX 970 4Gb Gaming Twin Frozr GPU
1x Samsung SM951 M.2 250Gb SSD drive
1x Samsung 850 Evo 250Gb SSD drive
1x Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb SSD drive
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32Gb (4x8) 2400 Ram
Fractal Design Define R5
Seasonic 750W PSU
CD/DVD Writer
1x Snow Leopard DVD (but want to upgrade to latest version possible.)
NO available Apple Mac for downloads (thus the bought Snow Leopard DVD) but if this is a defining issue can possibly lay my hands on one.
(Firewire card and/or Thunderbolt card to be added)

The Challenge:

1. Make it so...
2. Don't strangle the noob.
3. Dual boot OS X / WIN 10 on same drive...holy moly!
4. Make the M.2 the boot drive...even holier moly!!
5. Don't strangle the noob.
6. Explain carefully, step by step if at all possible (without strangling the noob).

The issues so far:

Followed instructions meticulously from 'iBoot+MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC' tutorial to try to load Snow Leopard. Got the Apple logo screen (without the little timer animation) then top third greyed then nothing else.
I'm reading lots of stuff from contributors about solving certain things but am overwhelmed and don't know what to try first and they seem to be written for you guys that have been doing it a while so very confusing for a first timer.
Just to add more irritation.. the bios doesn't even see the M.2 drive so maybe I have to solve that issue first. However I have also tried to load OS X onto both of the other drives without success. Nice Apple logo but was hoping for more.
Need to start at the beginning and work through it if you guys could advise.
Well there you have it...Thank you for your time and patience.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE...? From A Newbie Crying From The Wilderness!

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry, noobs are welcome here, as long as they are not expecting
any spoon feeding of info. I'll be moving your thread to Snow Leopard Desktop support as it appears
to be your main concern at this point.

Moved to Snow Leopard Desktop Support

Oh..ok..I think.
It's just I thought maybe it could be a build issue and people with X99 build experience would be helpful with guidance as I am sure I would be able to download any more recent OS X from someone's mac if that was more compatible with the build I have. I guess I worry the point might get lost in past OS X threads. You know best though and I'm definitely not after spoon feeding (I'm sure you guys have better things to do), just some clarity about whether it's worth pursuing the Hackintosh route.
Thankyou.

Oh..ok..I think.
It's just I thought maybe it could be a build issue and people with X99 build experience would be helpful with guidance as I am sure I would be able to download any more recent OS X from someone's mac if that was more compatible with the build I have. I guess I worry the point might get lost in past OS X threads. You know best though and I'm definitely not after spoon feeding (I'm sure you guys have better things to do), just some clarity about whether it's worth pursuing the Hackintosh route.
Thankyou.

If you can use someone else's Mac to download Yosemite and make the Unibeast installer that
will save you much time. It's rather complicated to install Sn. Leo on X99 so see if you can use
a friends Mac.

Thanks for the reply.
I think I can do that but the friend is on extended vacation so it'll be a while but I'll try him if I can't do it the other way.
I really don't mind complicated if anyone can point me in the right direction. Would it involve something different to the above mentioned 'How To' which I tried?
If so it sounds hopeful...

Thanks for the reply.
I think I can do that but the friend is on extended vacation so it'll be a while but I'll try him if I can't do it the other way.
I really don't mind complicated if anyone can point me in the right direction. Would it involve something different to the above mentioned 'How To' which I tried?
If so it sounds hopeful...

Your main obstacle with Snow Leopard is that your cpu has no Intel HD graphics and your 970 will
not work with SL either. You would have to buy an older compatible graphics card to even do the
install of SL on your system. That's why it's best to just start out with Yosemite from the get go.

Installing that will be enough of a challenge for you. In the time you have to wait you should be
researching how to do an install of Yosemite on your system. It is possible but for a beginner you've
got at steep learning curve. Time for back to school Fall studies. ;)

Ah...I see. Ok... Back to school it is then.
In the meantime I'll try a couple of older cards I have from earlier builds and start preparing for the yosemite attempt.
Thanks trs96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back