Register

Minimal Cutting Mac Pro Mod

Motherboard
Huananzhi X99-T8
CPU
E5-2696v3
Graphics
RX 6600
I was inspired by other great mods here. So, my first mod here.

The goal is to retain as many original components/features from a Mac Pro 5,1 case as possible.

Specs:
Motherboard: Huananzhi X99-T8 (ATX)
CPU: E5-2696v3, 18 cores, 36 threads, turbo boost unlocked with all cores at 3.8Ghz
RAM: 256GB (32GB DDR3 1333Mhz x8)
GPU: RX6600
Storage: NVME 1TB (macOS Sonoma 14.2.1), NVME 500GB (Windows 10), 12TB HDD in strip RAID (4TB x3)
Wifi/BT: Intel 8265
USB PCIE expansion card with 10GB/s ports
PSU: 550W non-modular
Total cost: ~US$400

Front.jpeg

Side.jpeg

Back.jpeg

Performance is more than double that of my old fully upgraded dual-Xeon mac pro 5,1, but it runs at half the power at idle. Windows gaming is quite good.

So far everything works, including sleep.

SuperMacPro About System.png

SuperMacPro Memory and Disk.png

Notes for fellow modders:
* My method is to cut a slot at the bottom of the case, so to fit the ATX with the second PCIE lane aligning with the case. I should be able to fit a dual-Xeon EATX board. My next mod will use the Huananzhi X99-F8D PLUS (EATX), which should double the performance again.

* I am reusing all the original mac pro fans, which are very good quality powerful delta industrial fans. I connect them to the PSU's SATA cable, with the fourth pin (Vcontrol) on 3.3V to get about 900RPM. For the PCIE fan, I use a voltage controller to get 7.4V otherwise it is too noisy.

* I gave up fitting the front ports and IO panel, as I want a more authentic look. By fitting the front USB ports to the back, plus a PCIE USB card, I get seven USB ports, with two at 10Gb/s speed and the other five at 5Gb/s. This is good enough for me.

* Three sound ports and the ethernet port are accessible from outside without much modification.

* I can fit three 3.5inch hard drives, two in the 5.25inch bay, one in the first HDD tray slot. I can potentially fit three other 2.5inch drives in the other three HDD tray slots. I can also use PCIE to M2 adapter to add a third NVME slot using the last PCIE lane (x4 speed), which is not accessible from outside.

* Wifi and Bluetooth using the existing locations, but replaced with new cables of the smaller connection type.

* PSU can fit in the original PSU slot, with the fan facing up. No need to open up the PSU. All the spare cables can fit behind the 5.25inch bay.

* With all these, I still have a 16x PCIE slot empty. And one more 1x PCIE slot can be used with an extension cable.

Some work-in-progress photos are attached.

Attachments

• SuperMacPro WIP 1.jpeg
    SuperMacPro WIP 1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 334
  • SuperMacPro WIP 2.jpeg
    SuperMacPro WIP 2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 343
  • SuperMacPro WIP 4.jpeg
    SuperMacPro WIP 4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 360
Last edited:
@pywm
Great work! Very polished design and good performance.

@pywm I'm starting a similar setup with the F8D, two units E5-2696v3 (stock), 256GB DDR4 + RX580, let's see how it will work.

I don't understand. What is the motherboard attached to? What is anythign attached to, for that matter?
It’s attached to the case, via standoffs… inside the case!.

Hi, did you tested F8D Plus already?I am new to Hackintosh, want to try it for Swift developing.What about bios compability?

Hi, did you tested F8D Plus already?I am new to Hackintosh, want to try it for Swift developing.What about bios compability?
I haven't. F8D seems to work fine, there are multiple success case. None for F8D PLUS I can find.

Please let us know if you are successful. For starter, you can try with the F8D working Opencore EFI from github.

D
@pywm I'm starting a similar setup with the F8D, two units E5-2696v3 (stock), 256GB DDR4 + RX580, let's see how it will work.
How is it going? Is sleep working?

A Huananzhi F8D would be hard to mod using my method, as the power connection would block the base of the case. The F8D PLUS is feasible as the power connection is at the side.

Last edited:
It’s attached to the case, via standoffs… inside the case!.
Yes, the motherboard is quite tightly secured to the case.

I first took out the original standoffs (just snapped them, quite easily). Then attached to the motherboard so I get the positions correct. Finally I glued the standoffs to the case with the motherboard PCIe slot aligned correctly. For correct placement, you can attached the graphic card as well.

The glue I used wasn't that good, a few of the standoffs were not glued properly but overall the motherboard was quite tightly attached.

Back