Contribute
Register

Mini PCs

Is this product compatible with the NuC GenMachine 5900HX? https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32464748097.html

According to Dortania's guide, the BCM94360 chip is compatible... but in the photos of the interior of the GenMachine that you sent, I cannot see what chip it has, if it is soldered, its shape/size...

It’s not soldered to the board, it slots into an M.2 E key which is under the M.2 M key. Standard size, you won’t get Wi-Fi with that card in Sonoma, unless you disable the security on the device.

I know... but the RTL8168 chip that comes from the factory is not compatible in any way with Hackintosh.

Installing a BCM chipset I would have all the functions of the Apple ecosystem (Handoff, AirPlay...), but it would not work with Sonoma; Installing an Intel chipset would work with Sonoma, but it would not have any other functions of the Apple ecosystem beyond WiFi and BT... Correct?

So, for example, can this chip format be installed in the NuC GenMachine: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32464748097.html

Finally, taking advantage of the AliExpress discounts for the Chinese New Year, I bought:
- NuC GenMachine 5900HX
- KingsPec SO-DIMM DDR4 3200MHz CL19 2x8GB
- KingsPec PCIe 3.0 x 4 NX Series 256GB (1x2280 and 1x2242)

Thank you!

Last edited:
The iGPUs on the AMD APUs sure have come a long way...

*Note: According to Google, the GTX 1650 was launched in April 2019 and RX 6400 in January 2022.

Good morning:

I am following Dortania's guide, to install Ventura, on my new NuC GenMachine 5900HX with KingSpec RAM/SSD and Fenvi BCM94360 WiFi/BT.

Finishing the kexts part, I have some doubts about it:

1) Is the appropriate kext for my computer's Ethernet "RealtekRTL8111"?

2) For my Fenvi BCM94360 with Ventura, apart from the "BlueToolFixup" kext, are the "AirportBrcmFixup" and "BrcmPatchRAM" kexts also necessary?

3) Is it necessary or advisable to replace the "AppleALC" kext with "VoodooHDA"?

4) Are the extra kexts "AppleMCEReporterDisabler" and "NVMeFix" necessary? (AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor and M.2 KingSpec DDR4 3.200MHz 2280 256GB).

As always, thank you for your patience! It's my first time doing the process =).

Good morning:

I am following Dortania's guide, to install Ventura, on my new NuC GenMachine 5900HX with KingSpec RAM/SSD and Fenvi BCM94360 WiFi/BT.

Finishing the kexts part, I have some doubts about it:

1) Is the appropriate kext for my computer's Ethernet "RealtekRTL8111"? Is it Realtek Ethernet solution? If so then that should be correct, you can get more information from Windows or Linux as to what kind of controller is included.

2) For my Fenvi BCM94360 with Ventura, apart from the "BlueToolFixup" kext, are the "AirportBrcmFixup" and "BrcmPatchRAM" kexts also necessary? None of those kexts should be enabled or are needed, those are only for intel cards, your card is natively supported up to Ventura. Sonoma breaks WIFI and there are solutions for that but personally I avoid them.

3) Is it necessary or advisable to replace the "AppleALC" kext with "VoodooHDA"? No, AppleALC.kext will work but you will need to experiment with the correct ID. You can try VoodooHDA.kext, it may work fine instead of AppleALC.kext, but is not necessary. Let us know if you need more help with this bit.

4) Are the extra kexts "AppleMCEReporterDisabler" Yes and "NVMeFix" No but helps with power consumption necessary? (AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor and M.2 KingSpec DDR4 3.200MHz 2280 256GB).

As always, thank you for your patience! It's my first time doing the process =).
See above

1) Is it Realtek Ethernet solution? If so then that should be correct, you can get more information from Windows or Linux as to what kind of controller is included.

From the device controller I only see: Realtek(R) PCI(e) Ethernet Controller. But there are two kexts for Realtek: "RealtekRTL8111" and "LucyRTL8125Ethernet". What is the appropriate kext?

2) None of those kexts should be enabled or are needed, those are only for intel cards, your card is natively supported up to Ventura. Sonoma breaks WIFI and there are solutions for that but personally I avoid them.

So... ONLY the "BlueToolFixup" kext is necessary? For Broadcom there are also the "AirportBrcmFixup" and "BrcmPatchRAM" kexts but these are NOT necessary for my Fenvi?

3) No, AppleALC.kext will work but you will need to experiment with the correct ID. You can try VoodooHDA.kext, it may work fine instead of AppleALC.kext, but is not necessary. Let us know if you need more help with this bit.

Perfect! I had already added the "AppleALC" kext, but I didn't know if it was necessary to change it to "VoodooHDA". So I'll leave "AppleALC" =).
4) Are the extra kexts "AppleMCEReporterDisabler" -Yes- and "NVMeFix" -No but helps with power consumption- necessary?

If "NVMeFix" helps with power consumption, then I add both!

Thank you so much! =).

From the device controller I only see: Realtek(R) PCI(e) Ethernet Controller. But there are two kexts for Realtek: "RealtekRTL8111" and "LucyRTL8125Ethernet". What is the appropriate kext?

So... ONLY the "BlueToolFixup" kext is necessary? For Broadcom there are also the "AirportBrcmFixup" and "BrcmPatchRAM" kexts but these are NOT necessary for my Fenvi?

Perfect! I had already added the "AppleALC" kext, but I didn't know if it was necessary to change it to "VoodooHDA". So I'll leave "AppleALC" =).

If "NVMeFix" helps with power consumption, then I add both!

Thank you so much! =)
On my Trikey mini I use RealtekRTL8111.kext, I don't think you will need or want the LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext

Also you don't even need BlueToolFixup.kext, no kexts are needed for wireless or bluetooth to work. In that aspect is like having a real Mac, it enables the continuity features you don't get with an intel card.

I've been keeping tabs on this project since it was announced last November, pure retro Mac!. The site promoting the 'Retro Mini PC AM01' was clearly done by the new intern with zero experience in Graphic Design!. But, clearly knows how to knock off the visual language and present it badly, the perspective-less photo, grid layout and APU graphic are all Apple inspired. Price for this retro looking Mac, $269 bare-bones, not bad for the 5800U.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 6.54.16 PM.png

Looks good but would be shame to not run macOS on this.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 9.59.53 PM.png

Back