Contribute
Register

Mini Mac Build (Advice needed desperately for a newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think to go from HDMI to VGA you have to go through some kind of converter. I don't think there's a direct adapter (but I may be wrong). You can use an HDMI to DVI cable. Most modern LCD monitors have VGA and DVI connections.

bc24 said:
I think to go from HDMI to VGA you have to go through some kind of converter. I don't think there's a direct adapter (but I may be wrong). You can use an HDMI to DVI cable. Most modern LCD monitors have VGA and DVI connections.

Alright, thanks for the tip.

This is probably a noob thing to say, but does Lion only work with HDMI?

I think since you plan to use a graphics card, you should be ok with either DVI or HDMI, but Macs haven't had VGA ports for a while so they are a little trickier to get working (and I'm not sure the full features/effects work). The thing with Sandy Bridge systems is the Intel HD3000 graphics that use HDMI. I think Lion is required for those to work. Like I said, since you plan to use a graphics card you should be ok, but VGA is not a good option because Macs haven't had them for a while now. The VGA will give you standard resolution (1024x768) but that's about it. :thumbup:

If you are planning on doing some gaming, I would recommend spending another $20 or so and get 8GB RAM instead of 4. And I am going to assume you will get SG05 case with 300W or 450W PSU? Good luck!

slowjin said:
If you are planning on doing some gaming, I would recommend spending another $20 or so and get 8GB RAM instead of 4. And I am going to assume you will get SG05 case with 300W or 450W PSU? Good luck!

Oh yeah, Im getting the case with 300W as I think that should about cover it. And , I will be getting another ram stick... Im kind of anxious... I have installed SL on my old hp desktop before and my laptop (laptop did not go well, messed the system up a bit after intensive kext editing) anywho, I think it was time I did this... Embarking on my journey is going to be insane....

Any first time building tips or installation tips that I should keep in my mind? :headbang:

bc24 said:
I think since you plan to use a graphics card, you should be ok with either DVI or HDMI, but Macs haven't had VGA ports for a while so they are a little trickier to get working (and I'm not sure the full features/effects work). The thing with Sandy Bridge systems is the Intel HD3000 graphics that use HDMI. I think Lion is required for those to work. Like I said, since you plan to use a graphics card you should be ok, but VGA is not a good option because Macs haven't had them for a while now. The VGA will give you standard resolution (1024x768) but that's about it. :thumbup:

I use a Nvidia 9800GT and its VGA output (not DVI or HDMI) and it works perfectly with both Snow Leopard and Lion.

I apologize, I was going off of what I had read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=33412&p=243692&hilit=VGA#p243692
pippox0 makes a post there about VGA port with a link to another post about getting it working, but I think that regards the onboard VGA with Intel HD3000 graphics. A discrete graphics card probably works differently. Will it work with a MacMini plist? One can only try and find out. That's the whole point right? See what works, and what we can make work! :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back