Hello!Currently planning a new build:)

To-Buy

Case:Coolermaster Elite 110
Motherboard:Gigabyte H97N-Wifi
CPU:i3 4330

Already Owned

2TB HDD & 128GB SSD
PSU:Corsair CX 600
Atheros AR9280 (mini pcie card to replace ;) )
4GB RAM Crucial
16GB USB

Questions:1)Is 4GB enough for El Capitan?
2)should i replace the intel card with ar 9280 or buy another card? (i would like less configuration possible)
3)Will dual LAN work?
4)I have only a VGA monitor...could i use an DVI to VGA adapter? :D
5)If i use clover,will i be able to have future OS X compatibility?if kexts,patches etc will be gone after an update,i will use chimera. :p
Thanks a lot!:D
Also,if someone with similar build had success with yosemite,plz mention any advices :) Cheers;)

Questions:1)Is 4GB enough for El Capitan?
2)should i replace the intel card with ar 9280 or buy another card? (i would like less configuration possible)
3)Will dual LAN work?
4)I have only a VGA monitor...could i use an DVI to VGA adapter? :D
5)If i use clover,will i be able to have future OS X compatibility?if kexts,patches etc will be gone after an update,i will use chimera. :p
Thanks a lot!:D
Also,if someone with similar build had success with yosemite,plz mention any advices :) Cheers;)

1. Technically yes, usability, I'd go with 8.
2. 9280 will be the "easiest", but you won't get wireless AC or bluetooth.
3. Yes
4. No
5. With clover, I have way way less configuring with updates than chimera in the past.

Can't see why the DVI to VGA adapter thing wouldn't work. It's really not a question of software support but rather a question of whether your graphics card has an DVI-I (or DVI-A) port. DVI-I sends out both an analog and a digital signal and would thereby support a DVI to VGA adapter. A DVI-D port on the other hand only sends out the digital signal and wouldn't support the adapter.

Because no Macs in the past decade have used VGA, hence, no support for it.
Hmm. Might be true that no Macs have had an dedicated VGA-port in the past decade, if ever. But most Macs came with a DVI-I port (EDIT: sorry, not DVI-D as stated earlier), either regular or mini, which supported VGA conversion. Apple even sold their own adapter. Remember that even though a lot of monitors started supporting DVI long ago, the majority of projectors for keynotes etc. were still VGA-only. Not supporting these units would not have been wise of Apple.

mac_mini_ports.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see why the DVI to VGA adapter thing wouldn't work. It's really not a question of software support but rather a question of whether your graphics card has an DVI-I (or DVI-A) port. DVI-I sends out both an analog and a digital signal and would thereby support a DVI to VGA adapter. A DVI-D port on the other hand only sends out the digital signal and wouldn't support the adapter.

Hmm. Might be true that no Macs have had an dedicated VGA-port in the past decade, if ever. But most Macs came with a DVI-D port (either regular or mini) which supported VGA conversion. Apple even sold their own adapter. Remember that even though a lot of monitors started supporting DVI long ago, the majority of projectors for keynotes etc. were still VGA-only. Not supporting these units would not have been wise of Apple.

DVI to VGA adpter will work if the DVI port is capable of sending analog. I can use a DVI-D-Sub VGA adapter that came with my old Mac Mini on a Sapphire HD5770 DVI-I port with no problems.
You just have to look carefully at the DVI port specs to see whether it is capable or not.

DVI to VGA adpter will work if the DVI port is capable of sending analog. I can use a DVI-D-Sub VGA adapter that came with my old Mac Mini on a Sapphire HD5770 DVI-I port with no problems.
You just have to look carefully at the DVI port specs to see whether it is capable or not.

Just realized that I made typo. It should be "But most Macs came with a DVI-I (not DVI-D) port (either regular or mini) which supported VGA conversion." Sorry for the confusion!

DVI-A: Only analog
DVI-D: Only digital
DVI-I: Both analog and digital

So the bottom line is: If the port is either DVI-A or DVI-I it will work with a DVI to VGA converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back