5. LC
  6. Plus
  7. Power Mac
  8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Seems like this would be a frequent question, so please point me to the right location if I missed it.

Apple's 2012 quad-core Mac Mini was great, and I was sad to see them drop the quad-core option. I basically would like to get as close to that design as possible, but with newer, current-generation components. I've read through the CustoMac Mini and CustoMac Mini Deluxe pages but neither one really fits. The CustoMac Mini utilizes a dual-core CPU (rather than quad) and a bulkier case than I'm looking for. The Mini Deluxe uses a quad-core CPU but is larger/bulkier still. Can somebody recommend components that would get close to the size of Apple's 2012 mini, but using a newer quad-core CPU?

Looking for a design I can run El Capitan on (at least initially) as I have no current interest in moving to Sierra.

Hello GreenT,
The builds in the Buyer's Guide is just for reference. You can select another case if you like. Here is a link from SnazzyLabs on his Mini build:
$682 Skylake Mac Mini Hackintosh - Snazzy Labs

As you see in this he used an Intel i5-6500. And a smaller case. There are so many options now out there. I myself build a Mini Mac and used an Intel i5-6400. Once you get the case its about what you can fit in the case. This is what I used:
M350 Enclosure WITH PICOPSU-150-XT and 150W Adapter KIT

I am on El Capitan on this one and it works great.

Thank you for responding, aztlan78. The info you provided is much appreciated. I'll have to do some research now to determine whether the power draw I will require for the system I want to build will be supported by the tiny power supplies used in these mini enclosures. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back