Gigabyte Aorus Z390i wifi
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Greetings.
I had a working Z390 i Mojave install with Clover 4920. I followed the instructions to upgrade the Clover install to 5149 before upgrading to Monterey but now I cannot boot. Tried rebooting from an old Mojave install keydrive and restoring the original EFI (I had a backup) but it did not work. I tried to start a new install making a new Monterey install drive using the latest Clover as per the installation guide but the new keydrive simply does not boot the Install partition. I'm stuck with a broken instalation which I cant find a way to repair or install from scratch. I'm ataching the working EFI backup.
Any help is apreciated.

Attachments

• EFI-Backups.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
Greetings.
I had a working Z390 i Mojave install with Clover 4920. I followed the instructions to upgrade the Clover install to 5149 before upgrading to Monterey but now I cannot boot. Tried rebooting from an old Mojave install keydrive and restoring the original EFI (I had a backup) but it did not work. I tried to start a new install making a new Monterey install drive using the latest Clover as per the installation guide but the new keydrive simply does not boot the Install partition. I'm stuck with a broken instalation which I cant find a way to repair or install from scratch. I'm ataching the working EFI backup.
Any help is apreciated.
you will need to update your bootloader

best to give opencore a try to be honest

Any help is apreciated.
According to the install log you have Clover r4862.

That probably won't boot Monterey.

Clover EFI installer log - Wed Mar 13 01:46:48 BRT 2019
Installer version: v2.4k r4862 EFI bootloader

you will need to update your bootloader

best to give opencore a try to be honest
I considered migrating to OpenCore, but that would mean rewritting all configuration from scratch, which took me quite an efort to get right. I am actually trying to update Clover, but the resulting bootlader won't run the Monterey installer, and I can't figure out why. Should I copy the old kexts instead of installing new versions? The guide said only VirtualSMC would sufice to boot, bit that didn't work.

I am actually trying to update Clover, but the resulting bootlader won't run the Monterey installer

In the newer versions of Clover the folder structure has changed, make sure that you have all of your drivers in the new location. /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.

There is also the addition of a Quirks section in the config.plist which means that you cannot just take your old config.plist and use it with newer versions of Clover.

Rather than learning the newer variations of Clover which incorporate elements of the OpenCore boot loader, it would be advantageous to switch to OpenCore now which is better documented/supported.

In the newer versions of Clover the folder structure has changed, make sure that you have all of your drivers in the new location. /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.

There is also the addition of a Quirks section in the config.plist which means that you cannot just take your old config.plist and use it with newer versions of Clover.

Rather than learning the newer variations of Clover which incorporate elements of the OpenCore boot loader, it would be advantageous to switch to OpenCore now which is better documented/supported.
OK. I'll give it a try. I hope it doesn't make the mess worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back