Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I just ordered a Samsung 850 EVO 250 Gb SSD. I will install it on my HP ProBook 430 G1, currently working with Clover and Yosemite. What is the best way to move to the new SSD? Reinstall or is there a software that can copy the entire HDD?

Hi, I just ordered a Samsung 850 EVO 250 Gb SSD. I will install it on my HP ProBook 430 G1, currently working with Clover and Yosemite. What is the best way to move to the new SSD? Reinstall or is there a software that can copy the entire HDD?

You can clone your partition with Disk Utility. EFI/Clover can be copied with Finder.

You can clone your partition with Disk Utility. EFI/Clover can be copied with Finder.

do you mean that Disk Utility will clone Yosemite But not EFI Partition , Right ?

do you mean that Disk Utility will clone Yosemite But not EFI Partition , Right ?

Cloning not recommended for EFI. The EFI will be automatically created empty and you can do a simple file copy to restore the EFI from the original HDD.

Cloning not recommended for EFI. The EFI will be automatically created empty and you can do a simple file copy to restore the EFI from the original HDD.
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but will disk utility copy other partitions as well? My HDD is currently a triple boot, but I'll be moving to SSD soon. SuperDuper or CCC were the tools I was being told to use, but if disk utility can essentially clone a drive with several partitions, shy of copying the efi contents over, maybe I'll do that.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but will disk utility copy other partitions as well? My HDD is currently a triple boot, but I'll be moving to SSD soon. SuperDuper or CCC were the tools I was being told to use, but if disk utility can essentially clone a drive with several partitions, shy of copying the efi contents over, maybe I'll do that.

Disk Utility will not clone your Windows or Linux partitions. I use gparted in Linux for that task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back