Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 3060 MFF
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
HD 630
I have a working ML 'tosh working on i5 750. I want to move on to Haswell. Is it at all possible to migrate the system over? I see 2 possibilities:

1. Hook up the SSD to the new mobo after making some boot/kernel changes.
2. "migrate" system to some backup location, install brand new Maverick OS on new mobo, "restore" from backup. The restore would basically be all the apps, user data etc, the OS would be brand new.

Can this be done?

I have a working ML 'tosh working on i5 750. I want to move on to Haswell. Is it at all possible to migrate the system over? I see 2 possibilities:

1. Hook up the SSD to the new mobo after making some boot/kernel changes.
2. "migrate" system to some backup location, install brand new Maverick OS on new mobo, "restore" from backup. The restore would basically be all the apps, user data etc, the OS would be brand new.

Can this be done?

Yes. But do not do a "global" restore - pic and choose only apps not included in the default OS X installation.

Personally, I prefer to take the extra time to download the apps from source and re-install. This way I know everything is there and the app works properly.

Yes. But do not do a "global" restore - pic and choose only apps not included in the default OS X installation.

Personally, I prefer to take the extra time to download the apps from source and re-install. This way I know everything is there and the app works properly.

Thanks. I'll try that. I assume this is via time machine?

Thanks. I'll try that. I assume this is via time machine?

You can do it via time machine if restoring, or you can download app from source and re-install.

Re-install is usually better if upgrading OS rather that updating (e.g. 10.8.5-> 10.9 vs 10.8.4->10.8.5) because the app might have been re-written for the upgrade (i.e. not all apps written for 10.7.5 will work on 10.9.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back