Contribute
Register

MightyDood’s Mac Pro Mod (MacPro 1,1 2006)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just saying its a shame to see a perfectly good working mac Pro destroyed just for a case specially when people will pay good money for them. He could have sold it and got a G5 case at a profit.

Also I Only pay $60 CDN for a pair of Xeon CPUs and I update and sell old mac pros for good money. Maybe an 11k GB score is not good to you but compared to a lot of hacks thats really good.

Nobody ever said he threw out the parts, he probably sold them on ebay.

Nobody ever said he threw out the parts, he probably sold them on ebay.

Yep... sold all the parts separately (mb, cpu, gpu, dvd, ram, fans... everything except the psu)

Didn't make $800. No-one seemed to think that the 1,1 was $800!! YOu should've contacted me earlier... I would've sold it to you for $800 for sure! :)

Better off to part out an MP 1,1. In the US you'll be lucky to get $500 for it complete. Same reason I've hacked my Cube, there is just not a very strong resale value.

....and anyway this part of the forum is specifically about case modding Mac Pro cases to run hacks. So there is not really much sentiment or sadness on here in parting out the old to bring in the new. The place for that kind of sentiment is on the legacy Mac forums on how to upgrade your Mac Pro to get the most from it.

I really like what the OP has done here and think the transformation is a great tribute to the Mac Pro case.

....and anyway this part of the forum is specifically about case modding Mac Pro cases to run hacks. So there is not really much sentiment or sadness on here in parting out the old to bring in the new. The place for that kind of sentiment is on the legacy Mac forums on how to upgrade your Mac Pro to get the most from it.

I really like what the OP has done here and think the transformation is a great tribute to the Mac Pro case.

Thanks minihack! Appreciate the comment!

Ok I give up then, I am wrong I guess. I guess its just me that thinks destroying something only because you want its case is silly then. I will never do that to mine or ever my PowerMac G5 as they both still work great. If they ever dies then sure I will strip it for the case. Right now I make good money off updating old mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1s and reselling them so I shall continue to do so. In fact I find my 1,1 runs Mavs better then my 5,1 and I use it on a daily basis for all my dev work. My 5,1 now sits there collecting dust lol.

I wasted enough time selling the parts (hate ebaying). Would've wasted even more of my time upgrading and then selling... for the sake of a hundred dollars or so.
And... I actually made more money and saved time by selling the parts and getting on with my work, as I'm not a reseller and don't have any desire to be.

I guess I'm less precious about materialism... silly I know! :)

Ok I give up then, I am wrong I guess. I guess its just me that thinks destroying something only because you want its case is silly then. I will never do that to mine or ever my PowerMac G5 as they both still work great. If they ever dies then sure I will strip it for the case. Right now I make good money off updating old mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1s and reselling them so I shall continue to do so. In fact I find my 1,1 runs Mavs better then my 5,1 and I use it on a daily basis for all my dev work. My 5,1 now sits there collecting dust lol.

On the other hand parting out a working, but unused machine helps others keep their machines running where they might otherwise recycle them.

He did a great job. I've a 1,1 I got a week after they came out. I may use it for a Haswell build once a Gigabyte Z87 board with TB becomes available. Wonder if an XL ATX would fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back