Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I've been working on this for days, but I think I've come to a conclusion on this.

My goal is a sub-$1.1K, tiny, efficient and quiet desktop that packs a solid punch.

To quantify this a bit more, I'm currently working on a MBP 15" (late 2008) with a GeekBench score of about 3400. I'd like a machine that scores 4X better than my current machine. Obviously, this is arbitrary, but I think its important to have design goals. I see many GeekBench scores for the i7-3770 that are around the 13,500 mark or higher at the stock 3.5GHz, which is perfect. Also, as its an Ivy Bridge chip, its pretty efficient for a desktop powerhouse.

Secondary design goals were to aim to build a system that is very close to a vanilla install. So, I've selected components that should be supported OOB (finger's crossed).

I have no video card here. I would like to use the integrated HD 4000. I realise that it won't be fully supported now, but will hopefully be soon (Mountain Lion, next month?). I should be able to boot into with GE off, right? (UPDATE: Tagsof inadvertently confirmed this, yay! =)

I'm now adding a video card to the mix, but this is only so I can connect my Apple 24" LED Cinema Display to the rig. This adds $100 to the cost of the build.

Anyway, I've also set a budget of $1,000.00 $1,100.00. (This is a business expense, so VAT will be recovered and is therefore not part of the $1.1K budget).

So, this is what I've selected:

CPU: I7-3770 (note, this is NOT the 'K' variant)
Motherboard: MSI Z77MA-G45 (hat-tip to Going Bald here)
RAM: Kensington 4X4GB DDR3 1600MHz HYPER-X Corsair 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD: Crucial CT256M4SSD
HDD: WD 2TB 7200 64MB
GPU: Asus EAH6670/G/DIS/1GD5 PCI-E A (Thanks, Gordo!)
Plus: StarTech 6 inch DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Video Cable Adapter - M/F (Thanks, Gordo)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Define Mini
PSU: Cooler Master RS650 650W, Cooler Master GX-series 450W PSU Corsair CX430V2 (Thanks, Polobear)

Total for the above: $1,083.45. :razz: I figure I'll probably spend about $30-40 more for misc. connectors, case fans and such, but thats still within 1% of my (new) budget.

The PSU is probably overkill, but I may put in a dedicated GPU later, so... in the meantime, the extra power will let the box run more efficiently, and hopefully cooler and quieter.

Oh! One more thing, what is the recommended way to connect my existing Apple LED 24" Cinema Display (late 2008) with mini-display port connector? Is this even possible?

Anyone see any issues or have advice on the ACD? I hope to pull the trigger on this early this week.
Solved! (Thanks, Gordo)

Thanks for reading! :)

EDIT: Updated power supply to lower wattage and total price to reflect this.
EDIT2: Added video card to build plan.
EDIT3: Replace Core 1000 for a Define Mini for quieter operation.
EDIT4: Found 8GB RAM sticks in UK at decent price.

Going Bald said:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5236ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&s=topSellers

Thanks again, Going Bald!

I think I can get a whole new 1080p display for the money it will cost to get that Kanex C247D. Or, I could get a graphics card with a mini-DP port. Both of these options seem more productive then shelling out $130 for an adapter. =/

Looks like I'm definitely going to breach my budget. =/

OK, I'm considering buying the Gigabyte HD7770 card. I can get it for only slightly more than the above-referenced adapter would cost me, sports 2 mini-Display Ports AND (most importantly), I think this card will actually fit into the Fractal Design Core 1000 µ-ATX case. :thumbup:

Now, I know that the 7xxx series isn't currently supported, but I'm hoping for these two facts to be true:

1. That I can use the 7770 with GE turned off in the short term (confirm anyone?) and

2. That someday, when Mountain Lion is out and supported, so will be this card. (I know that know one can confirm or deny this without breaking the board's rules, however.)

Outside of breaking board rules, if anyone has any comments on this, please do. I'd be particularly interested to know if anyone has direct knowledge about fitting this card into the Core 1000 case.

Hi Tangy, why the HD7770? It isn't compatible and is a poor performer compared to the 6850 (about 90% of an old 6850's performance in games under Windows), except in thermals and power consumption. See if you can pick up a discounted 6850 card or stretch to a 6870, if they fit. Don't forget good fans for case cooling if it's tight in there! :)

polobear said:
PSU is overkill...with a 6870 you can hardly reach 300 watts

Awesome! I'll switch to this Cooler Master GX-series 450W PSU then, and save $30!

Thanks!

Detosx said:
Hi Tangy, why the HD7770? It isn't compatible and is a poor performer compared to the 6850 (about 90% of an old 6850's performance in games under Windows), except in thermals and power consumption. See if you can pick up a discounted 6850 card or stretch to a 6870, if they fit. Don't forget good fans for case cooling if it's tight in there! :)

Thanks for this. I selected the HD7770 because Gigabyte's version is only 192mm long AND has a power connector on the end, so, in theory it will actually fit in this µ-ATX case. The other two boards you mention won't fit.

Bear in mind that its either this, or I spend almost the same money buying an adapter to fit my Apple LED Cinema Display to the DVI connector on the mobo to the integrated graphics. I'd be happy with the HD4000 graphics, but I'm not happy about spending $130 for nothing! This way, I spend a tiny bit more, but get a discrete GPU.

Coupz said:
There is no support for Radeon 7xxx series graphics cards at the moment.

You only read the very last post, didn't you =)

I do, but I think you don't know that with solutions which are not allowed here at tonymac, you won't be happy. And NO ONE knows if there will be Radeon 7xxx support with Mountain Lion, because Apple is back at Nvidia and there is not a big chance to get this card working.

So why buy a gpu which will probably never compatible with OS X? Just because it's new and needs less power? You could easily go with a 6850 (I know you get the 7xxx pretty cheap).

I would never buy a GPU, where it is possible that this card will never have support in OS X.
It needs more then just hope to get this thing fully working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back