RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I currently use an iMac 27in late 2012, which is starting to show its age. I have upgraded parts of previous iMacs, but for this model it gets quite tricky — opening the case by splitting an adhesive layer between the display glass and the rest of the case, and so on. And I also want a Skylake processor and multiple SSDs. The cost of a new iMac with the sort of configuration I want is more than I'm prepared to pay.

I am planning my first Hackintosh build since one in 2011, which took a lot of fiddling but eventually worked well. Pressure of work forced me back to iMacs, but I'm now disillusioned by Apple's neglect of desktops and pricing. It seems that, thanks to the Hackintosh community, builds are much easier to get working now. I plan to follow Stork's Asus Gene build guide for an mATX system.

For the case, I am trying to decide between a Fractal Design Define Mini C and a Phanteks Ethnoo Evolve mATX. I've read and watched a lot of reviews and builds. Many of the differences are subjective — personal likes and dislikes. I would be grateful for accounts of any experience that people have had with either case.

Personally I would go with the Fractal Design Define Mini. I have one I am very happy with and I prefer the simple design better than the frills of the Phanteks case. Another plus is the air intake filters, although you do have the extra chore of cleaning them regularly - how often depends on how dusty the environment is around your case.

+1 for the FD Define Mini C. These are really well built cases that will hold up for many years. It's not the most exciting design but if you don't sit and look at your PC all day, does it really matter ?

Personally I would go with the Fractal Design Define Mini. I have one I am very happy with and I prefer the simple design better than the frills of the Phanteks case. Another plus is the air intake filters, although you do have the extra chore of cleaning them regularly - how often depends on how dusty the environment is around your case.
Many thanks, Going Bald. I must admit I was leaning towards the Fractal Design case, which has had many good reviews. The filtering, noise damping and cable management are great. I was mainly attracted by the Phanteks' colour options (but as TRS96 says, I won't be looking at the case most of the time), its fan config and the aluminium panels — but again, what practical effect will they have?
So the Fractal Design case is my first choice — I was looking for user feedback, and I'm grateful to you and TRS96.

+1 for the FD Define Mini C. These are really well built cases that will hold up for many years. It's not the most exciting design but if you don't sit and look at your PC all day, does it really matter ?
Thanks, TRS96. I've replied to your post and Going Bald's above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back