Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My scenario: I have access to a 3930k on the cheap (too cheap to print!), so my Hackintosh has to be a socket 2011 build. I really don't dig the full size case thing, and would like to go for a micro-atx board/case.

The only one (mobo) out there (that I have seen) is the Asus Rampage IV Gene. I've seen the Golden Builds with the full size Rampage IV & Sabertooth X79. I'm guessing the micro version will work, I'm just wondering how much of a hassle it will be to get it working.

Would you start with the DSDT from one of those boards? Start from scratch? Cry like a baby and just use a full size ATX board that is known to work?

[semi tech savvy but my first build nonetheless]

/thanks

I would keep with the full ATX board.

I would keep with the full ATX board.

Leaning that direction currently, I just hate huge boxes. But the size difference between some full ATX cases (Midi's) and the Micro-ATX cases just isn't enough to argue over, hence leaning towards a full ATX board/case. (Sabertooth or RIVE most likely)

I would go with the ATX board since the micro-ATX Rampage has incompatible SupremeFX audio chipset which would require a firewire audio card or USB dongle.

I would go with the ATX board since the micro-ATX Rampage has incompatible SupremeFX audio chipset which would require a firewire audio card or USB dongle.

Yeah, leaning towards a Sabertooth X79 build right now. Looks like there are a few floating around that have worked out well. Still educating myself on how to build a DSDT for it as I'd like to keep he install as clean as possible.

Cheers.

I am still drawn to the idea of the smallest form factor possible and still a couple of months away from building so I can still assess things for a while.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in micro-atx here. I notice you are going with the asus rampage motherboard. Have you started your build yet?

If I go MATX I am leaning towards the MSI X79MA-GD45. I have read mixed reviews but it has Realtek audio and lan. The reviews are mixed but I figure the worst case scenario is that I am out $200 for a new motherboard. I am also leaning towards the Lan Gear "da box" case (also mixed reviews) because of its small form factor.

The Shuttle is also a big contender for me. Their XPC R5 7900P has Nvidia Quadro 4000 /3930k/ 32GB memory as factory options. It has Realtek audio and Lan. I would swap out the optical drive for 4 ssd drives and pull the hard drive trays. I would add the 545LC Asetek liquid cooler. All this in a form factor of 14.1 litres. Seems pretty interesting to me. Also there seems to be a fair number of Shuttle hackintosh units out there so it should be doable.

I will follow your build closely .

Cheers

I am still drawn to the idea of the smallest form factor possible and still a couple of months away from building so I can still assess things for a while.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in micro-atx here. I notice you are going with the asus rampage motherboard. Have you started your build yet?

I', a week or two from starting my build, and yes sticking with the m-atx Asus board. I'll keep you posted on anything I learn.

Have you started your build yet? I have changed my build specification and am now thinking the Asus Rampage IV Gene MB is the best solution. Have you found any solutions for the SupremeFX III audio? I have found some posts that say

"In our SupremeFX III, we essentially get a Realtek codec (presumed ALC898)..."
http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...og-review-rampage-iv-gene-formula-and-extreme

anyway just curious how you are getting on

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back