Graphics
GTX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After my experience with my P55M-UD2 system which led to me burning up the i7 860 processor I felt it was important to tell system builders not to overclock their ram. If you do your potientally voiding the Intel warrantee. The i7 chips have built in memory controllers and if you run memory at voltages higher than 1.5v you risk burning up your cpu.

My OCZ memory was "Core i7 Certified"..which was a crock. It's specified voltage was 1.65 volts. When Gigabyte walked me through those adjustments in the bios and I stress tested my system using Prime95 I burned up my CPU in about 45 seconds. It also damaged the motherboard. Maybe it was a combination of things but in my opinion its not worth risking your $300+ processor just to squeeze out a but more speed.

Remember the expression, " The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long." Running higher voltages will shorten the life of your processor even if it doesnt burn it up.

Read on.....

Memory controllers built into the upcoming Core i7 processors could change the way some enthusiasts push their systems beyond spec. Vendors such as Corsair, OCZ, Kingston and other companies market what is referred to as “enthusiast” memory. Enthusiast memory generally has ratings that go beyond JEDEC specifications.

Enthusiast modules need more voltage to run at their rated specifications. On high-end boards geared towards this type of thing, it is generally not a problem however, it could be a potential issue once the Core i7 (Nehalem family) starts cropping up on shelves.

In a report from Custom PC, The P6T Deluxe board from ASUS due out soon has a sticker covering its DIMM slots that reads:

“According to Intel CPU spec, DIMMs with voltage setting over 1.65V may damage the CPU permanently. We recommend you install the DIMMs with the voltage settings below 1.65V.” According to Iain Bristow, spokesman for Asus, “the sticker had been placed on the motherboard after Intel’s recommendation.”

Memory controllers inside the Core i7 processors support DDR3 memory. JEDEC specifies a standard voltage of 1.5V for that memory type, so this 1.65V limit would leave little leeway for over voltage within specification. This will sure cause enthusiasts to scrutinize over which modules they purchase more carefully. Currently, many enthusiast models go far outside the JEDEC standard of 1.5, coming in around 1.9V to reach rated specification.

Let us not forgot that manufacturers have always recommended against over voltage and clocking in some form or another – but it does not mean you cannot do it. We are pretty certain that this shouldn’t cause a big issue in the long run. The only real difference is that novices will now be more prone to burning out their processors instead of their boards / memory first. Depending on which model of processor is being used, it could be a more costly mistake.

You're the first person I've heard of who burnt out a board with an i7 & 1.65 volt memory-- out of thousands who are pushing massive overclocks at places like overclock.net.

So I'm not sure what to say. Running 1.66 voltage on the DIMM slots with i7-9xx processors really isn't a problem. Most suggest-- though I wouldn't do it myself-- that as long as you keep the DIMM voltage within .5 or .45 volts of the QPI voltage you're fine going beyond 1.66 dimm volts.

In any case, what do you mean about when Nephalem start hitting the shelves? Nephalem has been on the shelves for two years. If anything Nephalem is starting to go missing from the shelves... replaced by Sandybridge.

Its an old article..I didnt write it but what I did find out is that if Intel finds (when they test resturned chips) that you used memory running higher than 1.5v and burt out the CPU then your SOL.

Anything higher than 1.5v voids your warrantee.

Lerxst said:
Its an old article..I didnt write it but what I did find out is that if Intel finds (when they test resturned chips) that you used memory running higher than 1.5v and burt out the CPU then your SOL.

Anything higher than 1.5v voids your warrantee.

Source?

My understanding is that intel officially supports 1.65 volts, but recommends 1.5 volts. The JDEC spec requires the memory controller to take up to 1.875 volts (as long as you're within the .5 volt QPI/VTT voltage). Almost nobody has reported burning out the CPU at less than 1.9 volts DIMM when working within the .5 v range.

My source is the Intel support/rma person that asked me what brand/model of memory I was using. While on chat he looked it up and told me that my OCZ Obsidian 1.65 volt memory could damage my CPU if running at that voltage, that if they tested the CPU and determined that over voltage caused the damage they would void the warrantee and return my chip.

I'm hoping thats not the case......

There are lots of articles out there on the i7 and memory. I'm not sure where you would find actual Intel stated specs.

Here is an article on Tom's Hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-i7nehalem-memory-voltage,6464.html

Yeah, but here's what the Tom's article says that you posted:

“According to Intel CPU spec, DIMMs with voltage setting over 1.65V may damage the CPU permanently. We recommend you install the DIMMs with the voltage settings below 1.65V.” According to Iain Bristow, spokesman for Asus, “the sticker had been placed on the motherboard after Intel’s recommendation.

Which means that 1.65 is kosher according to Intel. Over 1.65 is not. Many (or all?) recent gigabyte boards only let you set 1.64 and 1.66 for voltage, but supply 1.65 or slightly less when you have it set at the 1.66 setting (afaik).

So the tech who told you that you 1.65 voltage ram is too high to use safely sounds like he's wrong.

Lets hope....

I talked to another Intel person today...this time on the phone. She seemed to suggest that if the chip doesn't look like you tried to cook an egg on it (heat marks) that it will most likely be covered.

I'll post back when I get my chip back. Keep your fingers crossed.

Lerxst said:
Lets hope....

I talked to another Intel person today...this time on the phone. She seemed to suggest that if the chip doesn't look like you tried to cook an egg on it (heat marks) that it will most likely be covered.

Good luck!

I was going to ask how they'd even know if you ran at an "unlawful" voltage. I mean, I figured there's no way for them to really know without doing some real forensic investigation (read: not worth the cost) at the transistor level... but never thought it would be quite so crude as "looked like you tried to cook an egg on it. That's our official limit." Ha!

justruss said:
Lerxst said:
Lets hope....

Good luck!

I was going to ask how they'd even know if you ran at an "unlawful" voltage. I mean, I figured there's no way for them to really know without doing some real forensic investigation (read: not worth the cost) at the transistor level... but never thought it would be quite so crude as "looked like you tried to cook an egg on it. That's our official limit." Ha!

Lol...if thats the acid test then I'm good to go. My i7 looked brand spankin new. The support person indicated they would test the chip. I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back