Graphics
Radeon 5870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This is off subject, but i thought i would share it. I've been running my hack quite happily for 4 months as a main OS because i broke my macbook pro.

Details of the break: I spilt coke on the keyboard, and the command key then became permanently pressed in. I bought another wireless keyboard for it, and was using it just fine for a long time. I finally got around to buying a top case so i could put a new keyboard on the mac and not have to use an external keyboard. This however only lasted a month. AGAIN, some how a pint glass full of coke decided to fall over onto the keyboard, and i didn't even notice, or react. I turned around to see the coke had already soaked through and was dripping out the bottom, the fans were spinning at 100%, the display was off, and i feared for the worse. I opened the back to try and pull the battery, but i couldn't, trying to turn off my lil mbp did nothing, and the battery was fastened in and too hard to take off. So the little thing's fan span for about 5 minutes and then died. I must admit i cried a bit, especially as only a month earlier, i had taken the thing apart and rebuilt it with a new keyboard for the exact same reason.

I tried turning it on after a month, and it just did nothing.

5 months later, i've turned it back on, and everything works. Whaaaaaa? Just installed Lion to test it, and i think i might just sell it because my hack is so much better (and it's a desktop so if i spill **** on the keyboard, then who gives a crap?).

I did a post recently on a water spilled MBP that I recently fixed. Please search for my post. You MBP will not last too long if you continue to use it since corrosion has already started on the logic board. The keyboard and backlit will also fail if they are not cleaned soon. You can fix it yourself or sell it as "water spilled but still working" and it will still fetch a good price on ebay before it dies and it looses it's value.

Thanks for the advice! Where would I go to look for tutorials to clean this thing up? I've got some free time this weekend, and i wanna do a proper job! It'll all be worth it when it sells for more money on ebay!

There are no toturials. Ifixit has some great guides on take apart. Read my post for tips.

Ok great, yeah well i've taken it apart a few times before. I was wondering if there was anything specific i had to look out for. Thanks :) I'll try and clean up any residue the best i can!

Look for any signs of corrosion on the board and keyboard. Remove the heat sink and avoid spraying anything on the CPU and GPU. You will have to add new thermal paste when you reassemble the board. Using a spray bottle and spray "distilled" water only on the entire logicboard and brush it using a soft toothbrush. Let it dry for one day
** Remove RAM before cleaning logicboard**

Use an electric contact cleaner (sold at the source or Radio shack) and spray the logicboard and brush it using a toothbrush let if dry for one day. Use new thermalpaste and reattach the heatsink.

Remove the keyboard and backlit (on MBP) and spray the keyboard only generously and brush it with contact cleaner (do not use water on keyboard) . Let it dry for one day. On MBP there is a jump point to test the logicboard after it is cleaned, let me know if you need the contact point. On MBP keyboard , there will be approx. 50 screws on the keyboard, it is not necessary to reconnect them all.

I assume no responsibility if this does not work. Use at your own risk. This has worked successfully for me.

Reassemble everything and restart. If it does not start, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back