Contribute
Register

Maybe I wont build a Hackintosh yet - when i7 6 core doable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My PC box is 'Black Edition AMD Phenom x4 3Ghz' based. I actually own a quad core 3Ghz Mac Pro which has similar performance.

I don't really want to spend a few hundred pounds turning my PC into a Hackintosh unless I can make a significant performance upgrade to my PC box, this means than realistically (unless I have missed something) I would either need to go to 4GHz (which I don't think will ever be achieved in a single chip) or go to 6x/8x.

When is this likely to happen or has it already happened?

Really shame I cant stay AMD because I could simply upgrade the CPU and have a killer box (AND have 6x already).

Or maybe there are i7 chips that are significantly faster than AMD Phenom x6 for video rendering? My significant I mean 25% (it used to be 50% but things are defenatly slowing down).

Ben

Look after reviews of you Athlon against Intel processors?
You don't tell what model of the CPU you have and asks question about the AMD CPUs performance against Intel. Hmm....

Your AMD CPU is a...
Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition
or
Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
?

How much money can you spend to change hardware parts?

Can you move hardware from the old system? Memory, graphic card (What card is it?), hard drive, optical drive, CPU cooler? If you are lucky only CPU and motherboard needs to be replaced.

If Sandy Bridge worked as easy as socket 1156 i would recommend it directly. What I can see the fastest i7 870 at socket 1156 or a i7 950/960 at socket 1366 is in your area. I dont know how they perform over your CPU but they both perform better. Sandy Bridge perform better then both these CPUs. If you can wait some time until it is supported fully that would be the best. It you want raw performance that works right now socket 1366 is the choice. If you want to spend much money Intels 970/980 for socket 1366 is the choice with its 6 cores.

SMHI said:
You don't tell what model of the CPU you have and asks question about the AMD CPUs performance against Intel. Hmm....
How much money can you spend to change hardware parts?

The AMD is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3GHz Socket AM2+ 6MB L3 Cache. My The Mac Pro is a 2*2 (i.e. Quad) core 3Ghz which is obviously Xeon based.

Although is the AMD box I want to upgrade there is not much point in doing this unless I end up with box significantly (i.e. at least 25%) faster the the Mac Pro.

The graphics is built into the motherboard and I almost probably will have to get new memory. Terms of Case, PSU Hard Drive DVD I should be able to reuse.

I am hoping not to have to spend more than £500 (I generally end up spending around £250-£300 when I upgrade my PC).

Years a go I had a Intel box with 2 CPUs so this si an option but I am gessing theis would blow my budget.

Regards,
Ben

If you plan on using AMD hardware this isnt the right forum.

For the system you seeking it seems to be a socket 1156, Core i5 760 or Core i7 870 (Or processors around there). Your system has DDR2 memory, AMD2+, so new memory. New graphics too.

According to this review a i7 870 is the best for you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2839

Do you plan a ATX or mATX system?

List of Gigabyte motherboards that has USB 3 integrated: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20
Filter out P55 motherboards and go for P55A, or H55 or H57.

CPUs in your area: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20

This is just examples. You have to choose. A tip is to not buy the cheapest memory.

Their are maybe some combinations of motherboard and memory what will lower price. Take a look.

Now i'me confused, are you saying the Core i5 760 is significantly (i.e. > 25%) faster than my Mac Pro Quad 3Ghz? My understanding was that the i7 were not significantly faster (Than my AMD or Mac Pro) so the i5 would be a step backwards.

Remember the whole point of my post was about building a significantly higher spec box (than the 2* Dual Xeon (Quad) Mac Pro).

I was planing on going Intel but if this is not the forum to discuss AMD would be very interested in knowing which it.

Regards,
Ben

I missed that Mac Pro part.

i7 870 is the fastest alternative for the money today that works for Mac OS X. Little more expensive is socket 1366 and i7 950/960. After that is i7 970.

In a couple of months I think Sandy Bridge will work. Apple will soon upgrade their laptops and iMac so their till maybe be Sandy Bridge parts in them. Before summer some Apples hardware will include Sandy Bridge parts I think. When Apple do that, support for Sandy Bridge "Hackintosh parts" will dramatically increase.

For you I say wait or test to make your AMD to a Hackintosh. What forum I dont know. After summer Intel will release Sandy Bridge for the server platform that will replace socket 1366.

Thanks for your reply.

SMHI said:
i7 870 is the fastest alternative for the money today that works for Mac OS X. Little more expensive is socket 1366 and i7 950/960. After that is i7 970..

Are you saying these all work with Mac OS X?

SMHI said:
For you I say wait or test to make your AMD to a Hackintosh. What forum I dont know. After summer Intel will release Sandy Bridge for the server platform that will replace socket 1366.

Now there is the million dollar question, are there any AMD Hackingtosh forums. When I have seen AMD mentioned there seems to be a equal proportion of two totally contradicting posts. 50% say it works great without problems and 50% say don't bother, its loads of hassle and the system is not stable;(.

Regards,
Ben

funkytwig said:
Thanks for your reply.

SMHI said:
i7 870 is the fastest alternative for the money today that works for Mac OS X. Little more expensive is socket 1366 and i7 950/960. After that is i7 970..

Are you saying these all work with Mac OS X?

SMHI said:

Now there is the million dollar question, are there any AMD Hackingtosh forums. When I have seen AMD mentioned there seems to be a equal proportion of two totally contradicting posts. 50% say it works great without problems and 50% say don't bother, its loads of hassle and the system is not stable;(.

Regards,
Ben
Using an AMD CPU with OS X requires major modifications to the OS and prevents using software update. That is why we don't support them here.

Also, check out this chart for CPU performance between Intel and AMD, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bes ... 826-6.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back