Contribute
Register

Maximus V Gene - Thinking about OSX, but on the fence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i5MiniPro (Asus Maximus V Gene)
CPU
i5-3570K 3.4 GHz
Graphics
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Question:
Is the Asus Maximus V Gene mobo difficult to work with and setup? I just don’t want to spend xx-days trying to get a solid OSX setup just to deal with lingering issues and worry about stability.

I have (2) Hackintosh's running for approx. 2 years now and all is well. Both using Gigabyte boards and happy to say they are stable and been through the mill, and still going strong... They were easy to setup using this great site and using recommended mobos. My current PC has the Asus Maximus V Gene MATX mobo – I thought I would game more when I built this RIG in Dec2012 - but this isn’t the case. So I’m back looking to go for hackinstosh #3.

I'm not apposed to buying the Z77x-ud5h board for this build, but if I could use my current mobo...

---

Win7 PC Today.

Arcmini case
Asus Maximus V Gene
Core i5 3570k
16GIG RAM
Samsung 830 SSD
Geforce GTX660
TPlink 450 Wireless

I did, read your post. However, I was looking to get some more feedback. Wondering if others took the plunge and happy with the boards performance. I have your post printed and I'm ready to go. I came across your post and this prompted me to add mine. Thanks for the write up BTW.

OK - I decided I'm going in for the third time using this Mobo.

* So far I can't get beyond the grey screen with the apple logo after the rebooting.

PJALM not sure if this is the right forum for this update but here goes.

**- Warning Long Post Ahead -**

Once again thanks to tonymacx86 and this community for providing a great resource where a geek can learn & tinker with technology. I decided to go ahead and convert my gaming RIG built in Dec2012 into a new (Hack Pro) build.

Specs:

*Case: Fractal Design – ArcMini
*Mobo: Asus Maximus V Gene
*PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W
*CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz
*SAMSUNG 830 Series 256GB SATA III MLC (SSD)
*GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 - Graphics Card N660 TF 2GD5/OC
*WiFi: TP-Link Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)
*Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
*Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor
*Mouse: Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX

--

UniBeast - Mountain Lion 1.7.0
OSX Mountian Lion 10.8.4
Mulitibeast 5.3.1

I went ahead and followed PJALM’s write up here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...5870-working-ivy-bridge-power-management.html and for the most part my new-HackPro worked with some minor issues. Here's what I did. Thanks PJALM for taking the time to write up the guide and helping a n00b like me out.

•Following the guide, I update the BIOS settings and go on with the installation. I didn’t do step 3 in the OSX install (because its V-1707 already. Is this correct?). I did see your remark about 1707 last night… Not sure if is an issue.

•After the install is completed. I boot into OSX 10.8.4 and run MaciASL to create a DSDT as per instructions. But I'm a little confused about (* If you are using a discrete graphics card, please also apply the GFX0 patch.) How do I do this exactly? Here’s what I did: I created the DSST first, saved it, then opened MaciASL again and went to the PJALM graphics repo - open the previously saved DSDT - patched and saved.

•Downloaded the provided i5-3570K-SSDT.zip

•Now I moved onto running Multibeast. Added the DSDT.aml to the desktop and selected the settings shown in the guide without the Ethernet option. Wifi supported and working. Note: In my case I did have to select “GraphicsEnabler=no” in order to boot up. (This solved my grey screen with Apple Logo issue previously posted.) And selected 10.8.3 Trim Support for my SSD.

•Once Multibeast was complete I copied the i5-3570K-SSDT.aml to the /Extra folder.

•Updated org.chameleon.Boot.plist org.chameleon.Boot.plist <string>darkwake=0</string> and change it to <string></string>.

•Reboot into OSX 10.8.4

•Without going through this step at this time "Creating the Macmini6,2 SMBIOS using Chameleon Wizard" I poked around the system and tested a few things. Startup/shutdown - Rebooting - Sleep both automatic and manual all seems to work without issue. Internet, Sound, opening multiple apps all seem to work without any delay or Kernel panics. System appears to work OK. Shows the correct Proc, Mem size, NVidia GPU in about this Mac.

•I run through these steps a few times and just because my OCD tells me I need a clean system ☺… I’m sure I missed something or goofed up somewhere along the way so I wanted to update my build progress, hoping to get some advice, fixes, and tips. Please excuse my ignorance but it’s been awhile…

--

* Why do I need to change the SMBIOS to Macmini6,2? I changed it as per instructions, just wondering.

Moved questions here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...-gene-osx-10-8-4-almost-there.html#post625380

Searching the forums to see what I can find...

If you don't use the Ivy SSDT and Ivy mm6,2 SMBIOS it will _not_ enable Ivy Bridge power management.

Gotcha - OK, so having both in place, Ivy Bridge power management is enabled. Where can I verify this in the system? Or should I not worry. Just want to check things off my post install list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back