Contribute
Register

Maximus V Gene 10.8.x Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maximus V Gene 10.8 Guide with DSDT

Everything seems great now but system won't wake from sleep, any ideas?

Do you have wake from lan/usb enabled in bios? Also have you tried to wake by pressing the power button?

Koalaman, do you have your ASmedia USB3 ports working? I found information on editing the DSDT here but IORegistryExlorer keeps crashing for me.

Hi guys! This thread has been incredibly helpful for me, thanks so much. I hope you can help me solve my remaining few problems. BTW, Multibeast 5.0.2 keeps failing to install, but it puts the kexts in, so that works; the problem is, it doesn't create an org.chameleon.boot.plist.

1. Intel and front USB 3.0 ports work, but rear ASMedia USB 3.0 ports do not. Using the USB 3 DSDT from this guide.
2. Multibeast fails to create org.chameleon.boot.plist. Would someone kindly upload a copy of theirs so I can just put it there manually and edit as needed? Thanks!
3. Ethernet shows as connected even though nothing is plugged into it - normal?
3. In the OS X login window, my DVD drive keeps making a grinding reset noise. Once I log in, it says "you have inserted a blank DVD." This is untrue, the drive is empty. I suspect this is a hardware issue though as it didn't use to do this and I recently completed the physical part of my build, so I'll troubleshoot the connections first... just mentioning it in case this is a known problem. One thing I did was move the drive from the Intel SATA port to an ASMedia SATA port, maybe that's why.

Other than that, I'm golden:
1. Multiple pstates reached
2. Sleep/wake working fine
3. Sound working via front and rear ports
4. HWMonitor displays coretemps, freqs, and drive temps
5. TRIM enabled via Trim Enabler app (Multibeast failed again)
6. 3rd party SATA and 3rd party eSATA work, though eSATA is not hot swappable - I need it on at boot for the drive to show (normal?).

gabe, to answer a couple of your questions.

2. when you say failed, how do you mean? what option did you select in multibeast? does selecting userdsdt solve that issue (userdsdt will create the extra folder, and put the org.cham.boot.plist in there). if none of that works, you can create your own one using champlist or chameleon wizard.

3. i have noticed that happen on my board now and again with the intel nic. doesnt happen to the realtek nic, so i would assume its a quirk with the driver/kext. i use the intel nic predominately, so mine usually says connected anyway, but on the rare occasion where a cable isnt plugged in and it shows connected, ive noticed that plugging a cable in and pulling it back out sorts that out. its not an issue either way though.

4. use the intel sata port and report back

Thanks Samisnake.

By failed, I mean no matter how many or how few options I choose, in whatever combination, it starts the installation, places any selected kexts correctly in S/L/E, gets to the "verifying" stage... and then gives the message "installation has failed" (not verbatim). However, some of it obviously works, since chimera is installed, the kexts are installed, etc. An "Extra" folder with smbios is even created, but for some reason it refuses to create org.chameleon.boot.plist. As far as I can tell, that's the only thing it has *actually* failed to do. As I said, this is true even if the only thing I check in MB is "Use kernel cache" or "Generate CPU states."

The ethernet thing isn't a big deal, so I'll ignore it.

I'm going to switch the DVD drive back in a minute and let you know what happens.

im guessing you didnt use userdsdt, and selected options individually?

in that case, selecting options for the org.cham (eg. graphicsenabler=no etc) will not create the org.cham.boot.plist, and will show installation failed as there is no org.cham to write those options to.

the easiest way for you to do this would be to hit userdsdt.
if you dont want to do that, i have uploaded my org.cham.
i have removed things specific to my system (hide/rename partitions, theme location) but what is left is all you should need.

you dont need darkwake=0/1, or gen p/cstates, but you may need to change graphicsenabler=yes to no due to your gfx card.

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    609 bytes · Views: 278

Samisnake,

I have done so many different options for MultiBeast that by now I don't remember if I ever tried a simple UserDSDT, but it is possible I did not. Anyway, I copied your plist into my Extras folder, so thanks!

Switching the SATA port with the port for one of my backup drives (with a lot of blood, sweat, and tears - my case is cramped!) solved the DVD issue. But while it reads discs, DVD player won't run. I'll look into that next (EDIT: solved, will update later).

Many thanks!

To do:
1. Solve rear ASMedia USB 3 issue.
2. Solve DVD playback issue. EDIT: Solved with a framework update from OSX86, I'll link it later.
3. Install theme of choice. EDIT: used LoginToLion, quite nice.
4. Maybe figure out that grey square at login window.

New small problem: at the login screen, a grey box appears and flickers in the top-left corner. Odd, but doesn't seem to impact anything.

Update:

Have updated to 10.8.2. Used AppleACAPIPlatform.kext to prevent kernel panic. Re-enabled audio with Multibeast. Everything seemed fine.

Lately working on USB 3 issue; with the DSDT in this thread, rear ASMedia USB 3 still didn't work. So I tried TheLostSwede's USB 3 driver kexts (http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...b-3-0-driver-3rd-part-controllers-10-8-x.html) even though he warned that they are not intended for Z77 boards.

They did enable USB 3 for the rear ASMedia ports, but they also borked sleep/wake (like it says in that thread): would immediately wake from sleep.

Tried to switch back by deleting those kexts and restoring the DSDT, but waking from sleep is still messed up. It goes to sleep fine, the LED blinks, and when I press a key or the power button it LOOKS like it wakes up (LED turns solid, HDD LED blinks) but the screen never wakes up. That makes me think it might have been due to the 10.8.2 update, not the USB kexts; no way to be sure at this point since I didn't test sleep/wake after 10.8.2.

I'll let you know what else I find.
-G

Update:

Have updated to 10.8.2. Used AppleACAPIPlatform.kext to prevent kernel panic. Re-enabled audio with Multibeast. Everything seemed fine.

Lately working on USB 3 issue; with the DSDT in this thread, rear ASMedia USB 3 still didn't work. So I tried TheLostSwede's USB 3 driver kexts (http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...b-3-0-driver-3rd-part-controllers-10-8-x.html) even though he warned that they are not intended for Z77 boards.

They did enable USB 3 for the rear ASMedia ports, but they also borked sleep/wake (like it says in that thread): would immediately wake from sleep.

Tried to switch back by deleting those kexts and restoring the DSDT, but waking from sleep is still messed up. It goes to sleep fine, the LED blinks, and when I press a key or the power button it LOOKS like it wakes up (LED turns solid, HDD LED blinks) but the screen never wakes up. That makes me think it might have been due to the 10.8.2 update, not the USB kexts; no way to be sure at this point since I didn't test sleep/wake after 10.8.2.

I'll let you know what else I find.
-G

My sleep/wake doesn't work but I think it's because of my graphics card. So I can probably use those kexts you linked to. I'll try it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back