CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, sorry if this question is to dumb, I'm planning on upgrading my memory, I already have 4GB, and was planning to go 12GB, I wanted to know if Snow Leopard will recognize all of it at 32bit or 64bit. Thanks.

Yes.
OSX will recognize and be able to use all your RAM in both 32 and 64 bits...
However, if you use 32bit, each application will be limited to a maximum of 4GB RAM.
If you want to understand the details of this, you can read this Wikipedia article on PAE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

So, if you plan on upgrading for the purpose of giving more memory to some processes (e.g. Photoshop), you better boot on 64bit.

Good Luck!
Lnx2Mac

Thanks for your help. After reading a little more in your reference, I got the following conclusion: the maximum memory available for one single app in 32 bits will be 4GB, but the rest of memory will be available for other apps, that in a same way won't be able to use more than 4GB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You may be wondering why I don't want to boot in 64bit, the reason is that I use some apps regularly that don't work in 64bit.
Thanks again.

johnap987 said:
Thanks for your help. After reading a little more in your reference, I got the following conclusion: the maximum memory available for one single app in 32 bits will be 4GB, but the rest of memory will be available for other apps, that in a same way won't be able to use more than 4GB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You may be wondering why I don't want to boot in 64bit, the reason is that I use some apps regularly that don't work in 64bit.
Thanks again.
The only downside to booting in 64-bit is that not all device drivers are 64-bit ready. So as long as you have no incompatibilities, go 64-bit.

johnap987 said:
Exactly ! You got it right...

Could you mention which apps are those ?
As Macman said, not all device drivers are 64-bit ready, but haven't seen apps which don't work on 64bit.

Lnx2Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back