Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X / GA-H67N-USB3-B3
CPU
intel i7-10700 / intel i3-2105
Graphics
built in
Hi - I have a 2011 Customac Mini with the motherboard in the title, 8gb ram, and i3-2105 CPU. I'm planning a new build, but would like to keep this one running with some better spec'd CPU and ram. Wondering what everyone has upgraded this board with, or has suggestions for - probably would go i7, and I think this can do 16gb ram now. I'm just not sure what the latest and greatest would be for this motherboard - I know it's quite outdated. I already have a larger case and liquid cooling installed. Thanks.

Hi - I have a 2011 Customac Mini with the motherboard in the title, 8gb ram, and i3-2105 CPU. I'm planning a new build, but would like to keep this one running with some better spec'd CPU and ram. Wondering what everyone has upgraded this board with, or has suggestions for - probably would go i7, and I think this can do 16gb ram now. I'm just not sure what the latest and greatest would be for this motherboard - I know it's quite outdated. I already have a larger case and liquid cooling installed. Thanks.

I would recommend you update the motherboard BIOS to the latest F9 version if you have not done so. You can install 2 8GB DDR3 RAM sticks on the motherboard for a total of 16GB RAM.

For the CPU you can go for the i7 2600K / i7 2600 or a Xeon E3 1230 (require F9 BIOS version to support Xeon). Note that if you opt for the 2600 or Xeon, you will need a supported graphics card. The 2600K on the other hand has HD3000 CPU graphics which is supported in MacOS.

I would recommend you update the motherboard BIOS to the latest F9 version if you have not done so. You can install 2 8GB DDR3 RAM sticks on the motherboard for a total of 16GB RAM.

For the CPU you can go for the i7 2600K / i7 2600 or a Xeon E3 1230 (require F9 BIOS version to support Xeon). Note that if you opt for the 2600 or Xeon, you will need a supported graphics card. The 2600K on the other hand has HD3000 CPU graphics which is supported in MacOS.

Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot. Really appreciate it.

Upgraded to 16gb ram with crucial ballistix tactical. For others who find this, I had to boot with flag "maxmem=15585", or system ran terribly slow. Not exactly sure why, found it in a post by scrumpdaddy. Running great aside from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back