Contribute
Register

Mavericks/Win 8 Pro Dual Boot Using Clover: After crash, Windows 8 will not boot at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_M

Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I realize that this may not be completely Clover-related, but since I'm using it as a boot loader, thought I'd post here on the off chance that someone here might be able to help.

Just recently finished a dual boot build for video editing and some gaming. I've been using the Clover bootloader to access both Windows 8 and Mavericks. Each OS is on a separate SSD, and both were running fine until this past weekend.

The other day I was playing Assassin's Creed IV for a little bit in Windows. I'd played it before without issue, but at one point, the whole game just hung. Screen froze (no visual glitches otherwise), single repeating sound sample. Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing, so I needed to hard reset.

When I tried to reboot into Windows 8, it got as far as bringing up the text "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then hung on boot. Couldn't get anywhere past that; didn't matter whether I tried to boot through the motherboard's UEFI or through Clover.

I initially thought that the Windows SSD may have failed, so I tried booting into OS X via Clover, which it did without any problems. I found that I could still access the Windows SSD through OS X, and it seems to work fine. Likewise, the video card seems to work fine in OS X as well.

I then figured that I would boot using my Win 8 Pro install USB to repair Windows drive. But when I did, it got only to the initial Windows 8 install splash screen (with the little spinning dots), and then hang again before fully booting. Basically no matter what I tried (different USB ports, booting through UEFI or Clover), I cannot get Windows 8 to boot at all. I've tried to wipe the Win 8 SSD and reinstall Windows, but the Install USB won't even boot properly. (It reads as a boot disk from the mobo's UEFI, and I can access the USB in OS X, but if I try to boot from it, it hangs on boot as well).

Also tried to disconnect all the other hard drives to see if that would allow Windows to work, since I know Win 8 Install can be finicky with other drives attached. Still hung on the same place. Remade the USB install drive several times, on the off chance that it was corrupted, but still no dice.

So, basically, I have no clue what the issue is, and I cannot install Windows at all. I think it might be BIOS/UEFI related, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to address this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you guys need any more info, please let me know.

System is as follows:

i7 4770K
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
32 GB RAM (Crucial)
Plextor M5P 128 GB (OS X SSD)
Samsung EVO 250 GB (Win 8 SSD, in theory)
EVGA GTX 780 SC

Running Mavericks via Clover version 2236.

Did you install Win8 UEFI or Legacy Boot?

UEFI. I initially had a Legacy install, but I couldn't get Clover to recognize it, so went with UEFI instead. The UEFI install was working fine until the crash.

UEFI. I initially had a Legacy install, but I couldn't get Clover to recognize it, so went with UEFI instead. The UEFI install was working fine until the crash.

Booting with the install DVD, can you use the recovery mode to repair the boot sector?

Nope. Only have a ISO, which I downloaded from Microsoft, and put on an install USB. Repairing the partition with the install USB was my first instinct, but the weird thing is that the installer for Win 8 won't boot off the USB either. Hangs in the same place as the Win 8 boot up as well. Tried remaking the install USB in case it was also corrupted, but even using a different USB with a fresh bootable installer, it hangs in the same place.

Nope. Only have a ISO, which I downloaded from Microsoft, and put on an install USB. Repairing the partition with the install USB was my first instinct, but the weird thing is that the installer for Win 8 won't boot off the USB either. Hangs in the same place as the Win 8 boot up as well. Tried remaking the install USB in case it was also corrupted, but even using a different USB with a fresh bootable installer, it hangs in the same place.

Try clear CMOS and reset the BIOS, boot and set optimized defaults, then make same changes you made before and try to boot the drive again.
If problem persists, re-flash the BIOS and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back