Motherboard
Gigabyte z87x-oc force
CPU
i7 4770k
Graphics
evga nvidia geforce gtx760
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I built a Hackintosh about 7 years ago running windows and Mavericks on separate drives. I have resisted upgrading my OS because some of the software I rely on (Adobe CS5) I've heard won't work if I do, but compatibility with just about everything else is getting ridiculous.

What I want to do is:

1. Upgrade motherboard (from gigabyte z87x oc force to gigabyte z390 aorus ultra), transfer CPU (4.29GHz Intel i7)
2. Install brand new bootable drive running Catalina using multibeast etc, but also being able to boot into the old Mavericks or Windows (3 bootable drives)

Will there be any obstacles that I ought to be aware of? I remember having to play around in the BIOS when I set up the old one, will the different OS"s make it crash if one or the other drive/OS loads?

I built a Hackintosh about 7 years ago running windows and Mavericks on separate drives. I have resisted upgrading my OS because some of the software I rely on (Adobe CS5) I've heard won't work if I do, but compatibility with just about everything else is getting ridiculous.

What I want to do is:

1. Upgrade motherboard (from gigabyte z87x oc force to gigabyte z390 aorus ultra), transfer CPU (4.29GHz Intel i7)
2. Install brand new bootable drive running Catalina using multibeast etc, but also being able to boot into the old Mavericks or Windows (3 bootable drives)

Will there be any obstacles that I ought to be aware of? I remember having to play around in the BIOS when I set up the old one, will the different OS"s make it crash if one or the other drive/OS loads?

Mavericks has no support for current Intel hardware like Z390, and you won't be able to get it to work on a Z390 system. Since you are using a GTX 760, you should continue to be able to use it on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina on your future new Z390 system.

Are you running Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on your old system? If it is Windows 7 / Windows 8.1, then it won't work properly on the Z390 as there is no hardware driver support. If it is Windows 10 then it should continue to be able to run on Z390.

Mavericks has no support for current Intel hardware like Z390, and you won't be able to get it to work on a Z390 system. Since you are using a GTX 760, you should continue to be able to use it on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina on your future new Z390 system.

Are you running Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on your old system? If it is Windows 7 / Windows 8.1, then it won't work properly on the Z390 as there is no hardware driver support. If it is Windows 10 then it should continue to be able to run on Z390.
I sincerely appreciate your reply!

I don't understand what you mean by "Since you are using a GTX 760, you should continue to be able to use it on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina on your future new Z390 system" Do you mean that the older drives ought to stay attached to the old motherboard?

Thanks again, there's a lot I don't have a solid understanding of, and I really am grateful for your help!

I sincerely appreciate your reply!

I don't understand what you mean by "Since you are using a GTX 760, you should continue to be able to use it on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina on your future new Z390 system" Do you mean that the older drives ought to stay attached to the old motherboard?

Thanks again, there's a lot I don't have a solid understanding of, and I really am grateful for your help!

You should be able to continue to use the GTX 760 on your new system if you plan to run any of the mentioned MacOS on your new system, so you don't need to buy a new graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back