Graphics
intel hd 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I need a mac to get xcode but I don't have the money so I ran mavericks in VMware on a windows machine after I purchased os x of course. It was running slow so since I have an intel laptop (dell inspirin n5050) I decided to install mavericks on a 64gb flashdrive because my hdd is already partitioned for Ubuntu and windows 7. I got it installed using unibeast obviously, and I have multibeast but I don't know what to do with it yet. Mavericks runs but is super slow, and again I only need it for xcode. is there a way to speed up mavericks? Would the answer to my question be in multibeast?

pc specs - intel core i3 2350m, intel hd 3000 graphics, 6 gb ram, drive is 64gb flashdrive and I boot it with a 16 gb flashdrive. Im new so any advice would help out. thanks.

So I need a mac to get xcode but I don't have the money so I ran mavericks in VMware on a windows machine after I purchased os x of course. It was running slow so since I have an intel laptop (dell inspirin n5050) I decided to install mavericks on a 64gb flashdrive because my hdd is already partitioned for Ubuntu and windows 7. I got it installed using unibeast obviously, and I have multibeast but I don't know what to do with it yet. Mavericks runs but is super slow, and again I only need it for xcode. is there a way to speed up mavericks? Would the answer to my question be in multibeast?

pc specs - intel core i3 2350m, intel hd 3000 graphics, 6 gb ram, drive is 64gb flashdrive and I boot it with a 16 gb flashdrive. Im new so any advice would help out. thanks.

Running OS X in a virtual machine isn't supported or discussed at this site. Read the forum rules.

Running OS X in a virtual machine isn't supported or discussed at this site. Read the forum rules.

Im not using a virtual machine anymore. I was using it before I came to this site. I do not need help with the vm Im using a purchased os from the apple store that I have working on my computer its just being slow

Im not using a virtual machine anymore. I was using it before I came to this site. I do not need help with the vm Im using a purchased os from the apple store that I have working on my computer its just being slow

OK, that wasnt' clear from your posting.

In your original post, you say,
drive is 64gb flashdrive and I boot it with a 16 gb flashdrive

Are you actually talking about USB thumb drives, or is the 64GB drive an SSD? If you're booting from a USB thumb drive, no wonder your system is extremely slow! The OS constantly needs to read and write to the boot drive, and if it's a USB thumb drive, those are not known for their speedy performance!

Let me explain further...by default, Mac OS X (as well as almost any Unix-type OS) will create its swapfile (virtual memory) on the boot drive. If you're booting from a slow USB drive, swapping memory to and from the swapfile will be an EXTREMELY slow operation. That's just one of many reasons you don't want to do this.

Yes the os is on the 64 and im using the 16 with unibeast on that to boot. Both flashdrives have to be plugged in to boot to the os. What confuses me is I have ran multiple unix/linux based os's off of these drives before without any problems. Would it be possible to get an external ssd and boot from that? I dont really want to take my laptop apart and swap my hdd for an ssd everytime I need to use xcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back