Contribute
Register

Mavericks : Repair boot disk at Apple Logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 (UEFI)
CPU
i5 2400
Graphics
GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Fail to reboot Mavericks : Repair boot disk at Apple Logo.

Hi !

So I had some issues with Chimera on my Mountain Lion Drive, and I opted for a radical solution : clean Install (my system needed one too...) So I install Mavericks, got it done, and booted several times (Multibeast, restart for software installs, etc.) so great.

Then I plugged my other drives, and I got the Apple Logo Screen with the repair disk loading bar. 3 attempts, all fail miserably. ,So I unplugged the other drives, no change. Still the repair disk issue. So I booted Unibeast, and repaired my drive. Then I booted. Once.

Same issue over and over, with several clean Installs. I'm frustrated.

I came to the point where even with my drives plugged in, I could repair my disk, and boot (One out of ten attempts, but still)

Now, I can't repair the disk. I tried Unibeast, my ML safety drive (a drive dedicated to keep a clean install for such times). No Luck. I can at least read from the drive to retrieve my data, but after 3 clean installs, data is rarely on that drive.

So, my setup :

Hardware : see my White Snow Build in my signature

Drives :
-1TB Drive : Shows no issues with repair disk (verify/repair when I select the drive, not the partitions)
--Hackintosh HDD : HFS+ 120 GB for Mavericks (This is the Partition with the ISSUE)
--Storage 1 : HFS+, 880 GB of Personal files. Works like a charm Can read, write with my ML drive. Repair and verify shows nothing abnormal

-500 GB drive : (disconnected throughout my tests)
--Win8 : NTFS 100 GB Win 8.1 drive. This install caused my issues with chimera. back with ML. Don't use it much, so I'm thinking to delete it, but a Windows drive is always useful.
--Storage 2 : 400 GB of storage, ExFat

-80 GB drive
--Hackintest HDD : HFS+ Test drive, clean install of ML 10.8.2. No issues whatsoever.

-2TB USB 3.0 Drive. Had some issues with ML messing with the partitions, had to use disk repair often. No longer is the case. It works good now. It's disconnected since my issues. (I connected it once to get my music back on Storage 1)
--WD Storage : 1.6 TB ExFat, for carrying around.
--WD TM : 400 GB HFS+ drive for time machine. Did not have the time to backup Mavericks.
EDIT : WD Storage needs repair again... Which fails. But I can still write on it !! WHY !?

I tried multiple Reinstalls. Formatted the partition, the whole drive, repartitioned. I did those at least once for each. (I clean installed 3 times. I'm about to try again as I finish writing.) Same issues each time I reconnect the other drives. I kind of need those, so I'd like a solution to keep them.

I noticed that repair utility tells me from time to time when I attempt repairing : "Incorrect number of thread record" (with two numbers following) Verbose boot and disk repair at boot shows me the same errors.

Help ! It'd be appreciated !

Thanks again,
Clovel

Bump,

So it happened again. I think it has to do with my installation of software. Because I could reboot multiple times untill I started installing software.

Those include :
-Tuxera NTFS (Out of date ?)
-Microsoft Word (Out of date definitively, but I can always update no ?)
-Python IDLE (2,7 and 3,3)
-Other useless crap

Aaaand Chameleon 2266, when trying to repair iMessage.

I think it has to do with the bootloader or tuxera NTFS kexts. MultiBeast install flies perfectly. I have to retest.

I'll post back soon.
Clovel

how did you test them? I would assume you only have the mac installed and running fine before you start plugging in the drives. Plug them drives one by one. As you have suspected the NTFS software. Leave NTFS drives out of it first. Plug everything that is native to os x then run the system a bit more. It stability issue starts then you know it's not the NTFS software causing the problem.

Also, check your sata/usb cables. Sometimes the most basic thing is the problem.

Since you have windows also. Perhaps try running your system on that windows 8 for some time. This is to check the stability of the system. If problem also exist in windows then it is not os x already. Probably hardware issue.

Just my simple suggestions. Good luck.

Well thank you for your help ! It's appreciated !

The thing is, my HFS+ Data partition that is on the same drive works fine. Disk Utility verifies it and is seems clean. I can write and read easily. So if it was a Hardware issue, I think it would be affected. I also checked multiple times my SATA cables. But it is possible, so I'll try.

It is to note that Disk Utility always shows a incorrect hierarchy of files and incorrect number of threads when running the repair tool on the partition. When running on the drive it reports that everything is fine.

Thanks !
Clovel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back