Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo S340 15IWL
CPU
i7-8565U
Graphics
UHD 620
So I've got a weird situation. My motherboard failed a few weeks before I moved. I shipped my computer ahead with the plan to buy new Skylake stuff when I got to my new home and rebuild it.
I have done this but the only universe drives I had sitting around are Mavericks with chimera. I can't seem to get it to boot to the install panel. Just hangs up on the grey screen with apple logo. I'm hoping this is just an issue with getting the correct boot flags set up because I don't have access to another Mac to set up another unibeast drive with El Capitan. If I can get it to boot, then I can build one off of one of the old drives, but I just need to get it to boot. Any recommendations on boot flags or, if necessary, the hard reality that I just need to find a new friend in the area with a Mac and use theirs to build a unibeast drive to work with.
If I don't have any recourse other than making a new unibeast can anyone shed some light on the difference between clover and chimera and why I should use one or the other? Thanks. I tend not to come here unless I have problems and by then it has been a while and I barely remember what I did last time and have no idea what all the new stuff is.

Anyway, here are my build details:
Intel Skylake i7 6700k 4.0ghz
Gigabyte LGA1151 GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB (which is an NVIDIA I believe)
2x8gb DDR4 dimms of RAM

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

So I've got a weird situation. My motherboard failed a few weeks before I moved. I shipped my computer ahead with the plan to buy new Skylake stuff when I got to my new home and rebuild it.
I have done this but the only universe drives I had sitting around are Mavericks with chimera. I can't seem to get it to boot to the install panel. Just hangs up on the grey screen with apple logo. I'm hoping this is just an issue with getting the correct boot flags set up because I don't have access to another Mac to set up another unibeast drive with El Capitan. If I can get it to boot, then I can build one off of one of the old drives, but I just need to get it to boot. Any recommendations on boot flags or, if necessary, the hard reality that I just need to find a new friend in the area with a Mac and use theirs to build a unibeast drive to work with.
If I don't have any recourse other than making a new unibeast can anyone shed some light on the difference between clover and chimera and why I should use one or the other? Thanks. I tend not to come here unless I have problems and by then it has been a while and I barely remember what I did last time and have no idea what all the new stuff is.

Anyway, here are my build details:
Intel Skylake i7 6700k 4.0ghz
Gigabyte LGA1151 GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB (which is an NVIDIA I believe)
2x8gb DDR4 dimms of RAM

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Your problem is that there is no support in Mavericks for the Z170 chip as Apple EOLed Mavericks before the Z170 was released. The only OS with Z170 support is El Capitan.
What you need is a Mac or access to a Mac. Check the local libraries and universities

Thought that might have been the case. Thanks for the confirmation. Knowing is half the battle! Time to go hunt down another Mac.

Were you able to install Mavericks in skilake?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back