Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a GA-Z87X-UD5H with a GTX 760 , 16GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance ram and a OCZ Vertex3 240GB for system drive. Everything work fine until it freezes with everything on the screen I can see everything but there is nothing that I can do so I have to reset the box. The freezing happens hours or so after its running. I’ve tested this same sysmte with windows 7 for 2 days and had no problems not a single freezing.

It’s anyone here having freezing problem with Mavericks 10.9.1?

It’s anyone here using OCZ Vertex3 for their system drive?

It’s there any logging on Mavericks that I can look at it and see what went wrong after I do a reset?

Thanks, for you help.

I have a GA-Z87X-UD5H with a GTX 760 , 16GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance ram and a OCZ Vertex3 240GB for system drive. Everything work fine until it freezes with everything on the screen I can see everything but there is nothing that I can do so I have to reset the box. The freezing happens hours or so after its running. I’ve tested this same sysmte with windows 7 for 2 days and had no problems not a single freezing.

It’s anyone here having freezing problem with Mavericks 10.9.1?

It’s anyone here using OCZ Vertex3 for their system drive?

It’s there any logging on Mavericks that I can look at it and see what went wrong after I do a reset?

Thanks, for you help.

I hate to reply to my own post but I think I may had found my problem here. It was my system drive the OCZ Vertex3 240GB SSD. I've reinstalled everything on a WD 320GB 7200RPM and everything has been fine. I'm playing 2 1080p video files from the network and at the same time doing a media scan with Plex and I have all my applications open. No problem for the last 1hour and 20 minutes.

I'm not sure if the problem its the SSD HD or the multibeast trim, I thinking its the OCZ HD because other people are using trim.

I'll probably be ordering a Sansung EVO 840 250GB SSD for the system drive.

Wait another day or two just to make sure ...
I've had a similar problem .. replaced the motherboard .. and it seems that in the end it was the RAM.

so .. make sure .. freezes can take between 5 mins from boot to a day or 2 ..

avoid spending the $$

Wait another day or two just to make sure ...
I've had a similar problem .. replaced the motherboard .. and it seems that in the end it was the RAM.

so .. make sure .. freezes can take between 5 mins from boot to a day or 2 ..

avoid spending the $$

I think you are right. I had to lower my ram from 1600 to 1333. Im using the recommended ram Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24. I've already update my SSD firmware Saturday night to the latest. The problem its when I set my ram at 1600 it see the cpu as overclocked I have a 4770K 3.5Ghz OSX see it as 3.9Ghz with the memory at 1600. Anyways I'm still testing here 18 hours so far. Thanks for your reply.

If you're RAM is supposed to work on 1600 .. you shouldn't be workin' it on 1333 ..
If your RAM is fairly new .. (less than a year or so .. ) try taking out the ram sticks and GENTLY :) cleaning the leads .. (where they connect to the board).

The tech guy from my local store (Crazy genius russian guy named MAX :) ) advised doing so
because "most of the time" when the RAM is "fault" n causes freezes .. before assuming it
a faulty stick .. it's a good bet to simply clean the leads and shove it back in ..
DIDNT WORK FOR ME :( :(
*in fact the sticks are still at his desk .. being tested by the store before RMA

So it might do the trick .. or it might not ..

I'd also try setting the RAM Voltage to it's recommended setting and upping the speed back to 1600.
This way the motherboard will supply a stable voltage to the sticks ..
you might as well do it if you've already set the timing.

goodluck bro :)

Hi dfmac,

I have almost the exact same setup as you and I have the same freezing problems in Mavericks. Did you ever figure out exactly what the cause was?

I have 4770K i7 3.5, z87x ud5h, 32gb Corsair vengeance, OCZ Vector ssd.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, I actually just took out 2 dimms last night and so far it's working great, no freezes!

I have 4 sticks of 2x8gb, Corsair Vengeance, and this is what I did:

-Removed all 4 dimms and put back only 2 dimms in slot one (DDR3_1, farthest away from CPU) and slot three (DDR3_2, third farthest away from CPU).

- Disabled XMP in bios.

- Manually set the memory frequency to 1333 MHz in bios.

so far it's working like a charm!

Let me also chime in on the Mavericks freezing problem: I am positive it has to do with the RAM/Slot placement.

Similar to other reports on this forum, I experienced spurious, inexplicable freezes on a Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H with two DIMMs only. After trying out numerous BIOS settings to no avail, I noticed that I had inadvertently placed the two 4 GB DIMMS into adjacent slots (1 and 3) instead of 1 and 2 (same color). With the corrected arrangement, no more freezes occurred. Note that there were never any freezes using Mountain Lion, despite the suboptimal RAM/slot placement.

I haven't tried more than two DIMMs since I only have two available.

Attachments

• z87_RAM.jpg
    z87_RAM.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back