Contribute
Register

Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

Two separate experiments:
1. Set config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPm/NO
2. Remove config.plist/ACPI/DropTables
Reply with new files

I can't give you any new files because each of the experiments resulted in boot looping. If you don't have any more ideas, I'm just going to live with my system always running in the turbo frequencies.

Though one interesting thing happened. To get out of the boot loop on the second experiment, from Clover I told it to drop all OEM SSDT tables, and on that boot I got this from Power Gadget:

IPG.png
So it dipped into a P state below maximum once or twice, but nothing like it should when idle. I have no idea what that means, or if it was just a fluke.

I can't give you any new files because each of the experiments resulted in boot looping.
I told it to drop all OEM SSDT tables
Unexpected, z97 does not need KernelPM and boot usually fails with DropOem.
Attach a screenshot of Activity Monitor/All Processes, Hierarchically, 1st page only.

Unexpected, z97 does not need KernelPM and boot usually fails with DropOem.
Attach a screenshot of Activity Monitor/All Processes, Hierarchically, 1st page only.

My motherboard is an MSI H97-G43; I guess it does need KernelPM. I'll post the requested screen shot this evening; I'm at work and my remote access to my hackintosh isn't working right now.

UPDATE: Attached is the requested screen shot; I don't see what you hope to find out from it, but here it is.
ActivityMonitorAllHier.png

I'm an infrequent tinkerer of OSX! I have Yosemite and Chameleon all running nicely as far as I can tell, including the use of DSDT and SSDT files. My Power management is happy to ramp the multiplier up to the BIOS turbo speed of 4.6Ghz (46 multiplier) and turns it back to 1.6Ghz when no load. Yay!

However, in preparation to upgrade to El Capitan, I attempted to get Clover working and followed the instructions to try it from a USB first. A raft of other reading material about SSDT and Clover did not help me in getting Clover to manage the P-states with Yosemite. It will ramp up the speed to the default 3.3Ghz speed and backit off to 1.6Ghz as before, but no matter what I do, I cannot get Clover and Yosemite to play nicely together WRT to P-States to reach the maximum multiplier I have in the bios.

I've tried either the Drop_OEM or Drop Tables separately but with no luck. The max P-State is resolutely limited to the default clock speed.

Any ideas how I can configure Clover to break this P-State limitation?

Thanks

EDIT:
Geekbench scores 12013 when using Chameleon, but only 8722 when using Clover.

Edit 2:
Sleep works fine
Under Chameleon, it appears that in addition to the max turbo state being reached, the SSDT allowed each CPU core to be adjusted independently of each other. Under Clover all cores get raised/lowered at the same speed between 1.6 and 3.3

EDIT 3:

With Chameleon booting, there is no NullCPUPowerManagement kext in S/L/E, and as a result, the DSDT/SSDT combo allows the P-States to operate fully and correctly.

With Clover there is NullCPUPowerManagement kext in the EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10. Speed is maxed at 3.3 Ghz.

If I remove this from the Clover boot, the CPU bottoms out at 1.6Ghz at will not budge at all. If I put the NullCPUPowerManagement kext in S/L/E and reboot via Chameleon, it maxes out at 3.3 and fluctuates between 1.6 and 3.3

It's as if NullCPUPowerManagement kext is overriding the P-States in the SSDT.aml file and yet without it Chameleon works fine, but Clover doesn't. Strange. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
I'm an infrequent tinkerer of OSX! I have Yosemite and Chameleon all running nicely as far as I can tell, including the use of DSDT and SSDT files. My Power management is happy to ramp the multiplier up to the BIOS turbo speed of 4.6Ghz (46 multiplier) and turns it back to 1.6Ghz when no load. Yay!

However, in preparation to upgrade to El Capitan, I attempted to get Clover working and followed the instructions to try it from a USB first. A raft of other reading material about SSDT and Clover did not help me in getting Clover to manage the P-states with Yosemite. It will ramp up the speed to the default 3.3Ghz speed and backit off to 1.6Ghz as before, but no matter what I do, I cannot get Clover and Yosemite to play nicely together WRT to P-States to reach the maximum multiplier I have in the bios.

I've tried either the Drop_OEM or Drop Tables separately but with no luck. The max P-State is resolutely limited to the default clock speed.

Any ideas how I can configure Clover to break this P-State limitation?

Thanks

EDIT:
Geekbench scores 12013 when using Chameleon, but only 8722 when using Clover.

Edit 2:
Sleep works fine
Under Chameleon, it appears that in addition to the max turbo state being reached, the SSDT allowed each CPU core to be adjusted independently of each other. Under Clover all cores get raised/lowered at the same speed between 1.6 and 3.3

EDIT 3:

With Chameleon booting, there is no NullCPUPowerManagement kext in S/L/E, and as a result, the DSDT/SSDT combo allows the P-States to operate fully and correctly.

With Clover there is NullCPUPowerManagement kext in the EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10. Speed is maxed at 3.3 Ghz.

If I remove this from the Clover boot, the CPU bottoms out at 1.6Ghz at will not budge at all. If I put the NullCPUPowerManagement kext in S/L/E and reboot via Chameleon, it maxes out at 3.3 and fluctuates between 1.6 and 3.3

It's as if NullCPUPowerManagement kext is overriding the P-States in the SSDT.aml file and yet without it Chameleon works fine, but Clover doesn't. Strange. Any ideas anyone?

Try deleting the NullCPU from EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder and copy your DSDT/SSDT to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and reboot. Clover may not be picking up on the DSDT/SSDT in your /Extra folder.

Try deleting the NullCPU from EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 folder and copy your DSDT/SSDT to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and reboot. Clover may not be picking up on the DSDT/SSDT in your /Extra folder.

I've already done that too. The DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml that I had (have) in the Chameleon /Extra folder have been copied to the EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched directory and I've also totally emptied the EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 directory and made sure the NullCPU is not in S/L/E. In this configuration there is no CPU management under Clover (in fact it's worse as it runs at 1.6Ghz instead of stock 3.3GHz) but there is full management from loading Chameleon using the same S/L/Extensions.

Something is wrong with my config.plist but don't know where to start really.

I'll attach my Chameleon plist and my Clover plist in case anyone has some bright suggestions.

Thanks

PS I forgot to say that looking at the Clover bootlog shows that the SSDT.aml is loaded successfully.

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 88
  • config.plist.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 100
** SOLVED **

Not the correct solution, but I found the answer to getting power management to work!

I thought I'd try to re-create the SSDT file using ssdtPRGen and use that instead of my previous SSDT file. However, when I tried to generate the file ssdtPRGen reported

Error: board-id [Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED] not supported by Sandy Bridge – check SMBIOS data / use the -c option

Mmmm. Curious!

Chameleon's SMBIOS.plist was set for an MacMini (6,2) - Ivybridge even though I have an i5 Sandybridge. I changed it to a supported 1155 board and regenerated the SSDT file. Chameleon boot resulted in a max 3.3 GHz. So I reverted to the old SSDT and tried again. Again it maxed out at 3.3Ghz with the SMBIOS set to iMAc (12,1). I changed the SMBIOS back to MacMini (6,2) and with the old SSDT I got full range of power management.

So, I changed Clover's SMBIOS to also be MacMini (6,2), and rebooted using Clover with the SSDT that I had tried to use along. Voila! Huzzah! Full power management as when booted from Chameleon. As the MAcMini is not correct for my motherboard/cpu, I can only assume that the power management is being handled by the BIOS and not by the OS. I could be wrong, but TBH, I'm couldn't care less! It's working!

Must take a full image backup before I screw it up with an El Capitan upgrade!

Full power management as when booted from Chameleon. As the MAcMini is not correct for my motherboard/cpu, I can only assume that the power management is being handled by the BIOS and not by the OS.
How did you determine "Full power management"?
OS X/Win/etc. does PM, BIOS does not.

How did you determine "Full power management"?
OS X/Win/etc. does PM, BIOS does not.

Just hypothesising based on what I experienced! Perhaps I was just too elated to have PM working after a Clover boot that I wan't thinking clearly! I'll bow to your superior knowledge!

That said, my elation has been tempered now with the problem of El Capitan giving a Kernel Panic on installation/upgrade. Looks like a USB issue, but removing Orevboot (not sure of the exact spelling) does not solve that one!

Back to the drawing board.

Back