Graphics
GTX980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I can not install the video card, I find users Yosemite with GTX980.

It would be possible to install GTX980 at Mavericks?:rolleyes:

IMG_7732.jpg

Not possible, only Yosemite.

+1

Since a Maxwell GPU is not supported natively by OS X you must use the Nvidia web drivers. The drivers that support Maxwell GPUs are only for Yosemite.

hello , why can't those drivers not be used for Mavericks?

I would also like to use in future GTX 980 possibly with 10.9.1 or 10.9.3 or 10.10.1 or 10.10.3

Thank you

@jussiissa ,

The nvidia drivers in Mavericks do not cover the Maxwell GTX 980 graphics card, nor unfortunately do the additional nvidia drivers for Mavericks provide support.

The fist available support is in Yosemite using the additional nvidia drivers - I suggest using 10.10.5 for the best Yosemite stability.

Thank you very much; what would happen then if one uses the GTX 980 with Mavericks? Would the operating system then run "subpar" by using a Generic Driver (similar as on Linux) or would the System not boot at all?
I have seen screenshot on Ebay where a person sold a Mac Pro 1.1 with a Radeon HD 7950 and the screenshot was from Snow Leopard. Although the sellers on Ebay mentioned the 7950 would require 10.8.3 or special driver from Sapphire for Lion, that kept me thinking if it possible to boot with it one Snow Leopard (maybe limited to reduced-Link Speed?) then maybe one could also use a newer Graphics Card with older Operating System like MAvericks.

Sometimes OSX will boot, and OSX uses basic visa drivers to give you a non accelerated image, videos will not play, movies and photographs will not function as you have no graphics acceleration due to no video drivers being able to load. It wouldbe like booting using an nvidia card with nv_disable=Yes. You can see a desktop, but using the system feels odd and is limited.

You might find that the system may not boot - not impossible, resolution could be limited to much less than your monitors native resolution and you may experience odd screen flashing - it is not a very nice experience.

Didn't you use a GTX 680 previously? Remember that you can use the Snow Leopard desktop background on many versions of OSX.

The September 2014 Intel 8 series buyers guide graphics card list is the last list of cards that are suitable to run Mavericks.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...versions-of-os-x-using-older-chipsets.141225/

Hello Adrian B,

thanks, but no, i am still on Snow Leopard so i am looking for a Radeon HD 5870 or HD 6870, and on second partition i have Mavericks, as Snow Leopard receives no more upgrades for Firefox (my main Browser) i am a bit dependent on newer OS; with Firefox Quantum i can also stream in HD, which is nice for Multimedia.

Yes, but i asked the seller, and it was showing System Info of Mac with 7950 and i clearly believe it was Snow Leopard, and he also confirmed ; i did not ask over his experience with the card, tough. I think the compatibility of ATI - AMD is probably better as it has a longer history with Apple i believe, but i couldnt say for sure.

As i am no Professional user, i would like to have a Graphics card that is fast, reliable and especially silent.
From what i read the GTX 980 offer all this, so maybe in the future i may upgrade, but for now i am holding dear to Snow Leopard as it allows also running Rosetta. If the Radeon HD 7950 would really be compatible with SL that would probably then be the best choice for now with a Dual-Setup with SL and Mavericks/Yosemite.

Sometimes OSX will boot, and OSX uses basic visa drivers to give you a non accelerated image, videos will not play, movies and photographs will not function as you have no graphics acceleration due to no video drivers being able to load. It wouldbe like booting using an nvidia card with nv_disable=Yes. You can see a desktop, but using the system feels odd and is limited.
/

Maybe this is similar to my Experience at the moment with my Mac Pro 1.1 and Mavericks with a stock - graphics Geforce 7300 GT; The operating system runs, but everything is a bit slow , therefore i am hoping to upgrade to a 5870 and maybe later to the aforementioned 7950 (this only if i could still continue using Snow Leopard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back