Contribute
Register

Mavericks - Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB - What is the cause of this graphical issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Win7
CPU
Intel
Graphics
ATI
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

First of all a huge thanks to TonyMacx86 for the hard work and awesome community built around the tools here. It has been super helpful and I've managed to resolve all my install issues and anomalies with just a bit of searching and patience. Been really great, and as a result I have my OS X 10.9 booting without issue and am in the progress of working through my post-install checklist.

One thing I noticed after my first successful boot was as shown in the attached image:

issue.jpg

As you can see when the image nears the right edge of my screen, I get this weird ghosting/tearring/artifact/thing. Not sure what this is called, or if it even has a proper name. This occurs regardless of resolution. I had to take a photo with my phone, because taking a screenshot showed a perfectly clear/smooth image as expected. It feels like a strange timing update on the GPU or something.

Anyway enough speculation from me. My system specs are:
Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB GPU
Intel Core i7 2600
8 GB G Skill DDR RAM
Samsung U28D590D Monitor
OS X 10.9
Connecting via Display Port and running at 3840x2160 if I recall rightly.

Not sure if there is other information required? Please let me know if you have any input on this, it's one of the last remaining issues that thus far I have not found a solution to.

Cheers!
Ian

Hey all, no one have any idea on this at all? I'm a bit stuck. :(

Hey, thanks for your reply! Much appreciated. :)

My monitor is the Samsung U28D590D Monitor which is UHD and runs at 60Hz via Display Port. I am using the Display Port on OS X and do have it running at 3840 x 2160 resolution. I will check out the refresh rate and report back. Thanks for the help! I believe when I checked it said 60Hz, but I will confirm for sure.

What's the refresh rate of your monitor? That looks like a refresh rate issue with your screen.
Many of the new "affordable UHD screens" run a pretty dismal display refresh.
Try cycling through the available resolutions to see if you can fix the tearing issue.:think::roll2:

Anyone else have a better idea? All ears... :angel:
Hi there, OK so found some time to check this out again. Looking in my Display settings, the resolution is 3200x1800 and the Refresh Rate is set to 60hz, and is greyed out. There are no other options present. Changing the resolution makes no difference, it is always present. Rotating the display makes no difference either. It is currently set to Scaled, but using Standard also doesn't change the issue at all.

What else can I look at/try?

Thanks!

Hi all, I've still had no joy with this. Is there anything else I can try?

Turns out this issue is related to the pixel frequency that is set for the monitor. So I used SwitchResX to manually configure a resolution and played around with the settings. A pixel frequency that is around 400Hz to 500Hz will cause this issue to manifest. This is a little problematic as high resolutions require a high pixel frequency to push them. For the moment I am running below the native resolution of my monitor. In Win 8.1 I can run at the native resolution which is 3840x2160 with refresh rates (V/H) of 133.3Hz x 60Hz but for some reason OS X 10.9 doesn't like this.

Not sure where to go from here. Any information would be helpful.

Fixed in 10.10 (14A329r)

Please read the Rules.

"Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back