Contribute
Register

Mavericks eats up almost all of my RAM (4GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B85-G43
CPU
i5 4590
Graphics
GTX 960 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
Hello,

I've been using my new Mavericks setup for around 2 days and there's something what worries me: memory usage. I've got 4 GB of RAM and sometimes I have only 200MB left (once I had even something about 40MB left). I installed "Memory Clean" form the Appstore to be able to observe memory usage on the top bar. The strange thing is the fact that when I click Clean Memory button (the function of "Memory Clean" app) the free memory jumps from 200MB to 1,8GB!

Do you think I should maybe get additional 2GB to have 6GB total? Would it be OK then?

Free memory in Mavericks is not the same as in Windows, you should research more about OS X RAM management anyway.

I read about memory management in OS X, but still it's strange to have only 8MB of free RAM (now I have exactly 8,38MB - is THAT normal?). Maybe the OS is just trying to allocate as much as it can to be faster.
I thought I haven't got enough memory, because OS isn't as fast as I thought it would be. Another thing I don't like is how it looks when I resize windows. It's not as smooth as on Windows 8, it looks rather laggy, but I found this video (youtube) - looks like even Macbooks suffer from this. Can something be done about that?

I have 8GB RAM and 202 MB RAM "Free". Inactive RAM is considered free memory too.

Graphics performance won't be as good as in Windows, especially when you only have HD3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back