Contribute
Register

[Mavericks 10.9] Installation guide for Acer V5-572p-6858

Status
Not open for further replies.
My v5-572p-6858 stopped posting so I returned it back to MS Store and they replaced it with v5-573p-6896 because they didn't carry the 6858 anymore. The specs are simular but notably different is the processor and graphics that it uses. It has an i5-4200 and uses hd graphics 4400. I'm pretty sure everything else is the same. Looks like the exact casing and trackpad from the outside. Mslily or anyone else know if these different specs would cause problems with this install procesdure? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My v5-572p-6858 stopped posting so I returned it back to MS Store and they replaced it with v5-573p-6896 because they didn't carry the 6858 anymore. The specs are simular but notably different is the processor and graphics that it uses. It has an i5-4200 and uses hd graphics 4400. I'm pretty sure everything else is the same. Looks like the exact casing and trackpad from the outside. Mslily or anyone else know if these different specs would cause problems with this install procesdure? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well, it is Haswell so that changes the game a bit...

You will likely run into the instant reboot problem when you attempt installing. See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-locked-msrs-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq.html

I am not sure if HD 4400 is supported at this movement. But definitely won't work in this guide since you have different generation cpu and graphics now. If HD4400 is supported by Mac OSX, you should try HD5000 GPU kext.

I am not sure if HD 4400 is supported at this movement. But definitely won't work in this guide since you have different generation cpu and graphics now. If HD4400 is supported by Mac OSX, you should try HD5000 GPU kext.

I think it is very likely supported. The device id is present in the stock Azul/HD5000 drivers.

HD4600 working fine here...

Thanks RehabMan and mslily for the info. Seems like i'll be returning the laptop then, a shame since it's a new model but I barely got thru the install on the 572P-6858. All the stuff on the link from RehabMan (thank you for that info) went WAYYYYY over my head. May end up buying the model online from another retailer. Thanks again for all the help!

I will sure do that when I get time later. But you should be able to very quickly switch to Skvo's latest change if you follow my guide.

Thanks. I just purchased this laptop. Added 128GB mSata and cloned windows over to mSata. I now have Win8 on mSata + a 500GB HDD that has 375 GB formatted at fat32 and 125GB unallocated.

Questions

1) Will I be able to install MAC on the unallocated area of 5ooGB HDD or do MAC and Windows needs to be on same HDD?

2) I read through the thread and Do I need to do install (first post) and then upgrade (post # 36 I think) or is there a way to merge these - I guess I should wait for you to post combined guide?

Thanks. Great work. Amazing laptop now Win8 boots in 5-7 seconds. Can't wait to install MAC.

Thanks. I just purchased this laptop. Added 128GB mSata and cloned windows over to mSata. I now have Win8 on mSata + a 500GB HDD that has 375 GB formatted at fat32 and 125GB unallocated.

Questions

1) Will I be able to install MAC on the unallocated area of 5ooGB HDD or do MAC and Windows needs to be on same HDD?

2) I read through the thread and Do I need to do install (first post) and then upgrade (post # 36 I think) or is there a way to merge these - I guess I should wait for you to post combined guide?

Thanks. Great work. Amazing laptop now Win8 boots in 5-7 seconds. Can't wait to install MAC.

You don't have to install Win8/OSX in same hard drive. But you should use GPT to partition both HDD and setup clover correctly (not neccessary to install clover and osx to the same hard drive)\

For installation, fresh install is fine

Edit: this guide was refreshed based on testing and RehabMan's correction. Thanks.

***Before you follow this guide***

1) you should have a computer with Mac OS X installed.
You will need it to prepare Mavericks installation USB with Clover boot loader

2) Make sure BIOS version is v2.09.
If your version is older, download the attached OEM version and update to V2.09

If you have already updated to version higher than V2.09, I am not sure this guide will 100% work fine. You might downgrade BIOS to V2.09 with the attached "BIOS_Acer_V2.09_Downgrade.zip". Just download, extract, and run the insydeFlash.exe file.

***Prepare installation USB disks***

1) Make CLOVER bootable USB disk (any size larger than 128MB should be fine)

I. format USB with GPT partition

Insert blank USB into computer (>128MB)
Run “Disk Utility” under mac os X
Select partition layout as "1 partition",*
Click the "Options" and change to "GUID Partition Table", click OK
On the right side, Format select "MS-DOS(FAT)"
On the right side, Name change to "CLOVER"
Click "apply"

II. copy clover to USB

Download the Clover_r2303_for_Acer_V5-572x_bios_v2.09.zip from Post # 45 or deirect link below, unzip and copy the entire EFI folder into the new USB disk named "CLOVER"

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7jaxvsw3dcv8f8a/Clover_r2303_for_Acer_V5-572x_bios_v2.09.zip

III. modify installation language

*In this USB disk named CLOVER, navigate to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist,*
* * open this config.plist file with “TextEdit”
* * find the code below
* * <key>Language</key>
<string>ru:0</string>
* * *change “ru” to “en”
* * *save the file
* * *(Note: you don’t have to do this if you understand Russian language)

2) Make Mavericks (10.9) bootable USB
* *Unplug the CLOVER boot USB you prepared above

* *Have another USB ready with size equal or larger than 8GB

* *Use “Disk Utility” to format it with “GUID partition table”, same as you did for CLOVER boot USB, but format it as “Mac OS Entended (Journaled)” partition
* *I followed the guide here to make 10.9 USB disk
* *http://www.coolestguidesontheplanet.com/making-a-boot-usb-disk-of-osx-10-9-mavericks/
* *And I used the second method mentioned in above link, which is under:
* *Alternative Ways of building a Bootable Mavericks OSX Disk.

***Install Mavericks***

1) Mac OS X Disk partition preparation

If you want to install Mac OS X into the original 500GB HDD, then follow these steps:

Step 1: Under windows 8, use disk management to shrink hard drive partition C.
Save about 50-100GB for Mac OS X
You might need to run Command "CHKDSK c: /F" before you can really shrink the hard drive

Step 2: After you shrink the disk in Windows 8, you will see something like this:
There are 5 partitions.
1. Healthy recovery (400mb)
2. Healthy EFI recovery (300mb)
3. Windows C partition (xxx GB --- your decision here)
4. Unused partition of (all the empty space, recommend 50-100GB. But you can make it more)
5. Another healthy recovery partition thats about 12 GB

In Windows 8, create another partition for the unused space (either FAT32 or NTFS, doesn't matter) and name it "MACOSX"

If you have mSATA SSD installed, or have replaced the original 500GB, just make sure you partitioned it as GPT and have one partition ready for MACOSX

It doesn’t matter FAT32 or NTFS, you will format it again during MAC OS X installation

2) Insert both the CLOVER boot USB disk and the mavericks (10.9) bootable USB disk into left side and back side USB ports

3) Restart computer, click F12, and select to boot from your CLOVER boot USB disk

4) The CLOVER boot USB disk should be able to boot fine.

Once in Clover boot menu, select the "OS X Base System" on your mavericks (10.9) bootable USB disk to continue install of Mac OS X.

When you reach the select installation partition step, be sure to use “Disk Utility” from menu bar to reformat your prepared MACOSX partition as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. You will need about 20min to finish the installation

5) After installation completed, shutdown computer and remove the Mavericks (10.9) bootable USB but remain the CLOVER boot USB disk plugged in.

6) Restart system with same CLOVER boot USB disk, select the just installed 10.9 system on hard drive to boot on
Once in the new system, create user account until see the desktop

***Post Installation Modification***

***Please note: DO NOT RESTART SYSTEM UNTIL YOU are instructed***

1. Install CLOVER EFI boot into internal hard drive

1) Under Mavericks, open terminal and mount the EFI partition from internal HDD

diskutil list (to identify the EFI location, mostly disk0s1 if no mSATA installed, in your case, maybe something like disk1sx)

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI (replace disk0s1 with yours if different)

(After these, you will see one partition called “ESP” appear)

(If you have both mSATA SSD and HDD installed, make sure you selected the EFI you want to install Clover boot loader, it will be easier to use the same EFI partition as Win8 used no matter where you install Mac OS X)

2) Download the “Clover_acer_V5-572p-6858.zip” attached in this post, unzip and copy the entire CLOVER folder into ESP/EFI/

(All your settings/files are now in ESP/EFI/CLOVER folder as a result)

2. Install kexts patches

Google search and download “Kext Wizard”

Download the “Patches_acer_V5-572p-6858.zip” attached in this post, unzip and install all the included kexts into /S/L/E with “kext wizard”

Repair permissions and Rebuid cache with “Kext Wizard”

3.Change BIOS/EFI setting

(Remove all USB disk(s) from your computer)
(Restart computer and click F2 to enter BIOS)
(Make sure you select boot from “UEFI”, have “secure boot” enabled, and setup supervisor password under “security” tab)
(Restart computer and click F2 to enter BIOS again)
(Add CloverX64 as UEFI boot option and make it the default one)
Under “Security”—”Select an UEFI files as trusted for executing”—HDD1 or HDD0—<EFI>—<CLOVER>—”Cloverx64.efi”
Under “Boot”, move “EFI File Boot 0: Cloverx64” to 1 position
(Restart computer and you are now able to enter Mac OS X without USB disk)

4. Check under “System Information”—>”Memory” and make sure your RAM is recognized correctly.

If you upgraded RAM, most likely you will need to inject the right information with “Clover Configurator” (google search and install it)
Run “Clover Configurator” in /Applications
Open your config.plist files in ESP/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
Select “SMBIOS” on the top menu strips
Under the bottom right, select “2” for “SlotCount” if you upgraded RAM
Manually inject the Memory information for both 2 slots
For example, the one fused to motherboard:
Slot: 0
Size: 4096
Frequency: 1600
Vendor: Hynix
Type: DDR3
(Save the files. Don’t touch anything else!!!)

You should have a functional system now

5. [Optional] if you want to make it like real mac, try to modify config.plist as below

Find your MacOSX volume in "Disk Utility" by clicking MacOSX partition and then clicking "info" in the menu, copy out the long number after "Universeral Unique Identifier"

Open config.plist with "TextEdit", you will find
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>MacHDD</string>
replace MacHDD with your UUID above

in config.plist, again find
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>10</integer>
change 10 to 0

Save and restart computer, you will find computer automatically boot into Mac OS X in 5-10 seconds if you installed Mavericks into SSD

***Most credits to Skvo and RehabMan, please don’t forget to thank them here***

Attachments

• Clover_acer_V5-572p-6858.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 350
  • Patches_acer_V5-572p-6858.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 369
  • BIOS_Acer_2.09_OEM.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 188
  • BIOS_Acer_V2.09_Downgrade.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 210
Hello all. I've been following this guide to install on my Acer V5 572p 6858. I don't have much experience. For some reason unknown, Windows icon is missing on Clover boot screen other than Mac. How can I get the Windows icon to appear? Without it I can never boot Windows. Please help. Much appreciated.

Hello all. I've been following this guide to install on my Acer V5 572p 6858. I don't have much experience. For some reason unknown, Windows icon is missing on Clover boot screen other than Mac. How can I get the Windows icon to appear? Without it I can never boot Windows. Please help. Much appreciated.

Is your Windows installed UEFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back