Contribute
Register

Making the switch away from Nvidia and perhaps an upgrade for Windows too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi everyone,

I'm investigating options for replacing my Nvidia GTX 980 in the hopes of moving to a Metal-compatible card on Big Sur. As I'm on somewhat legacy hardware, I'm sensitive to purchasing "too much card" that gets limited by the rest of the build. Any recommendations on the best performing AMD card to drop into a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK? Performing in this case would mean both ease of install/compatibility and horsepower hopefully in excess of what the 980 was able to provide as my build also runs Windows and could use an upgrade for gaming.

Thanks!

The RX 5700/5700XT will get you about half again the performance of the GTX 980 and will be compatible with High Sierra and later Mac OS versions.
You can probably find a comparison chart if you google for GTX 980 vs AMD RX 5700XT.

The RX 5700/5700XT will get you about half again the performance of the GTX 980 and will be compatible with High Sierra and later Mac OS versions.
The RX 5700 / RX 5700 XT is only supported on MacOS Catalina and later.

You can probably find a comparison chart if you google for GTX 980 vs AMD RX 5700XT.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back