Contribute
Register

Make A Bootable 10.6 thumbdrive with Multibeast on it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU
Graphics
GT 740
Anyone know how to make a 10.6 bootable thumbdrive with multibeast on it
so I can use it as an emergency boot drive to restore a Time Machine backup
and then run the chameleon install from multibeast to get my hackintosh up and
running again?? I'd appreciate any assistance on how to achieve this.

TIA,
JB

jbarish said:
Anyone know how to make a 10.6 bootable thumbdrive with multibeast on it
so I can use it as an emergency boot drive to restore a Time Machine backup
and then run the chameleon install from multibeast to get my hackintosh up and
running again?? I'd appreciate any assistance on how to achieve this.

TIA,
JB
I used one of these http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Transmemo ... 992&sr=8-3 , formatted it just like a regular HD and used CCC to clone my HD, then ran MultiBeast, selected chameleon & system utilities and pointed it at the Toshiba. Works, but USB is extremely slooooow compared to my Velociraptor SATA.

jbarish said:
Hmmm.. I thought you could only restore a Time Machine back up from the Installer Disc but maybe I'm incorrect. Can you restore a TM back up from a regular 10.6 install on an HD??

TIA,
JB
AFAIK, you have to use the retail install disk to recover with TM.

The purpose of the thumb drive is not to use TM for your operating system.

If you keep your operating system on a small HD or on a separate partition from your user files and back up your user files only with TM, then the clone on the thumb drive is used to boot up and CCC back to your working system partition if you screw it up somehow playing around with kext files.

Always CCC your working system to the thumb drive and make it bootable before you start adding/deleting/moving system files. This way, if what you are trying to do doesn't work, then it is as easy as CCC + chameleon to recover your operating system.

Do we know if firewire booting works on a hackintosh?

Greeting!

I had a tough time with my Snow leopard install, so what I've done now is I've created an image of my complete install and stored it on a large usb drive. Instead of reinstalling, I use iboot to get into the retail snow leopard disc and from there use disk utility to recover from the image. Works a charm and I've tested it quite a few times over the week.

sowdog said:
Greeting!

I had a tough time with my Snow leopard install, so what I've done now is I've created an image of my complete install and stored it on a large usb drive. Instead of reinstalling, I use iboot to get into the retail snow leopard disc and from there use disk utility to recover from the image. Works a charm and I've tested it quite a few times over the week.

What did you use to create your disk image and what are the steps??

Thanks,
JB

Going Bald said:
jbarish said:
Hmmm.. I thought you could only restore a Time Machine back up from the Installer Disc but maybe I'm incorrect. Can you restore a TM back up from a regular 10.6 install on an HD??

TIA,
JB

If you keep your operating system on a small HD or on a separate partition from your user files and back up your user files only with TM, then the clone on the thumb drive is used to boot up and CCC back to your working system partition if you screw it up somehow playing around with kext files.

Always CCC your working system to the thumb drive and make it bootable before you start adding/deleting/moving system files. This way, if what you are trying to do doesn't work, then it is as easy as CCC + chameleon to recover your operating system.

Does CCC backup the extras folder there fore avoiding having to run MultiBeast/Chameleon on it before it will boot??

Thannks,
jb

jbarish said:
Going Bald said:
jbarish said:

TIA,
JB

Does CCC backup the extras folder there fore avoiding having to run MultiBeast/Chameleon on it before it will boot??

Thannks,
jb
CCC and SD make a complete copy of your files. The problem is that they are not able to copy the Boot files that chameleon installs to make the HD bootable. You have to do this separately from CCC or SD by installing a bootloader after you clone the OS files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back