CPU
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey all,

I followed the guide for updating to Catalina from High Sierra but I am having major issues. I backed up my system, installed the latest Multibeast, downloaded Catalina, installed it to the system drive, rebooted, selected the install in the Clover boot screen, rebooted again, but now when I try to boot off my startup disk, I just get kicked back to the BIOS. I booted from my backup, and my OS drive has apparently been split in two somehow? I am seeing High Sierra and High Sierra - Data. I have no idea how to proceed here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 5.41.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 5.41.02 PM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 36
Hey all,

I followed the guide for updating to Catalina from High Sierra but I am having major issues. I backed up my system, installed the latest Multibeast, downloaded Catalina, installed it to the system drive, rebooted, selected the install in the Clover boot screen, rebooted again, but now when I try to boot off my startup disk, I just get kicked back to the BIOS. I booted from my backup, and my OS drive has apparently been split in two somehow? I am seeing High Sierra and High Sierra - Data. I have no idea how to proceed here.
Installing MacOS Catalina will split your system partition into two (one system and one data), so that is normal.

Have you updated the version of Clover on your system (assuming you are using Clover to boot High Sierra before)? Catalina requires a later version of Clover to boot. I use Clover 5119 (the version included on Unibeast) to boot Catalina on my systems.

Installing MacOS Catalina will split your system partition into two (one system and one data), so that is normal.

Have you updated the version of Clover on your system (assuming you are using Clover to boot High Sierra before)? Catalina requires a later version of Clover to boot. I use Clover 5119 (the version included on Unibeast) to boot Catalina on my systems.
Hey James, I am running the latest Clover. Here are all the things I have tried.

1. Backed up working High Sierra system to an external drive, verified that drive will boot.

2. Installed latest Clover and Multibeast, rebooted back into High Sierra, still booting fine.

3. Downloaded Catalina from the App Store and installed. After doing this I rebooted and selected boot Mac OS install from my system disk at the Clover screen. The install seemed to finish and the computer restarted. I still saw the option to install Mac OS option but selected my boot drive. When I booted, I was clearly still on High Sierra.

4. I rebooted again to try to reinstall, but the install Mac OS option had disappeared from Clover.

5. Booted off the backup and discovered that the system drive had been split in two even though Catalina had not successfully installed.

6. Downloaded the installer again and re-installed. This time the installation would not finish and kept kicking me back to the bios.

7. Booted off the backup to restore my system drive back to High Sierra, I wiped both versions, the regular version and the “data” version and restored from Carbon Copy Cloner.

8. Rebooted back into High Sierra successfully, but still had an empty “data” drive.

9. Tried installing over High Sierra one more time but still didn’t work and kept kicking me back to the BIOS.

10. Gave up on upgrading and decided to do a clean install. Downloaded Catalina on my wife’s MacBook Pro and made a Unibeast USB stick.

11. Inserted the stick into the Hackintosh, selected it on the Clover screen. The apple launch screen and progress bar appears for a few minutes but then the computer restarts and goes back to the BIOS every time, so I can’t boot off the stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back