Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170I PRO Gaming
CPU
i5 6600k
Graphics
GTX 1060
FORGOT TO MENTION IN THE THREAD TITLE: MINI-ITX!!!

Hey guys,
this is the build im planning to buy:

PSU:
Aerocool Xpredator 400W

RAM:
Patriot DIMM 2800 16GB

CPU:
i5-6600k

Mainboard:
ASUS H170I-PLUS D3 (Only DDR3, so scratch that)
ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac (My main option right now?)

Is there a better alternative for the mainboard (in the same price range, about 100€)? I need 4k and Display-Port support (60hz).
I will buy a GTX 1060 later on, but for now I need something thats working out of the box with my 4k monitor.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Last edited:
You don't say what size, micro-ATX, ATX, ITX, et.

Why DDR4 2800 when DDR4 2400 will likely cost you less?

Why the i5-6600K when a "K" CPU usually needs a "Z" board to be able to over clock? Same may go for RAM - you need to be able to set the RAM speed, which means a "Z" board.

Gigabyte GA-H170N-D3H says "GIGABYTE motherboards provide native 4K support with integrated Intel® HD Graphics via HDMI."

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers!

I'd rather not go with Haswell, im planning to dual boot with windows and if I invest that much money in a PC
I want to have the latest tech (with possible upgrade options).

Failed to mention it in the title (couldn't edit that) but its the very first sentence, Mini-ITX.
Im not too sure about the ram, I can get DDR4 2800 for about the same price as lower ones, so it does not really matter.

Im running a dual monitor setup, with my 4k display using DP at the moment and I'd like to keep that.

The GA-H170N-D3H only supports HDMI 1.4, which is 4k at 24hz (unusable imo).

Got my eyes on the ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac (4k DP at 60hz, DDR4, mITX), but im not too sure about ASRock.

Additionally to @kiiroaka's comments I'd suggest to get a PSU from a more reputable vendor. Aerocool has been caught selling crap in the past, personally I wouldn't trust them, since a cheap PSU without proper protection circuits might easily kill your hardware.

I'm not too sure about ASRock.

When it comes to reliability of a mobo the two most important things are the PSU and the RAM (and don't forget the CPU heat sink). For instance, the PSU should only be Haswell Certified so that it can come out of deep sleep. Not that it will matter if you're using the Intel 530 on-chip GPU since it will typically have problems coming out of Deep Sleep, Sleep and Hibernation. So make sure not to enable the BIOS C states. You will need to power it up and down manually instead of always leaving it on.

NEVER scrimp on the PSU. Do your due diligence and only buy the very best available for your price point. There are websites that only do PSU reviews.

When it comes to RAM don't use the cheap stuff, don't use any RAM that isn't on the manufacturer's QVL certified memory list and make sure that the manufacturer has it listed on their QVL (G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, etc.). If you buy DDR4 2800 RAM and the mobo doesn't allow the RAM profile to be loaded in the BIOS then it will default to DDR4 2133 speed.

Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it!
I dont really care about sleep, I'll use the PC when I need it and shut it down when I dont.

Alrighty, Xilence is a reputable PSU manufacturer, right? As well as G.Skill for RAM (Oh yeah you named it.:D)

This is the build right now:

PSU: 350 Watt Xilence Performance C Series
RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V rot DDR4-2800 DIMM CL15 Dual Kit (Listed on their website)
Mainboard: ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac (Does support OC, right)
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K
CPU Fan: Silverstone Argon AR05 Topblow

Potential GPU (later on): EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back