Contribute
Register

Mainboard advice for z390/i7-9700K/Geforce GTX 1070 Ti/High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
GTX 1070Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Folks,

Building my first ever Hackintosh to replace my late 2009 iMac 27" and mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15' unibody I'd really appreciate your advice regarding the motherboard!

I'd like to build a kind of Mac Pro for VR and 3D modelling (Blender, Daz3d, Poser), photo editing, DTP and web application programming. Some flight simulation occasionnally (X-Plane)

Clearly the 3D part is the important point and the NVIDIA GPU is a voluntary choice for DAZ IRAY renders and also beaause I had bad experiences with my two last AMD Radeon GPU (the iMac and a Macbook AMD were faulty and died).
I'm not a gamer or into PC-tuning, thus no need for RGB, windowed case and colorfull stuff, even if some overclocking might be a later point ;0)

As for the OS, with a NVIDIA GPU, a z390 Motherboard and the 9th gen i7 only High Sierra seems to be compatible (I would have preferred El Capitan or Sierra, but with latest components that seems not possible)

The parts I already fixed by zapping through the successfull guides and golden builds and youtube:

Case:
CORSAIR Carbide 330R Blackout Edition

PSU:
Corsair RM750x (2018) - 750W

CPU:
Intel Core i7-9700K (3.60GHz/ 12MB)

CPU-Cooler:
Corsair H100i Pro RGB

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8Gb

RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX Black, 32GB - 3000 MHz

SSD:
Primary: SAMSUNG 970 Evo SSD M.2, 1.0TB
- thanks to you guys I already changed that from the newer EVO PLUS version that does not work (yet) :thumbup:
(Secondary: ADATA Ultimate SU800 SSD, 2.0TB)

HDD:
Various WD and Seagate 3.5" SATA III laying around

Optical:
Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD±RW

High Sierra due to my combination of GPU and CPU
Windows 10 home 64bit oem

My questions:
1. Do you have any general thoughts or (other) know issues regarding the above selection?

2. Connectivity:
On the motherboard I would like to have at least: 2xUSB 3.0; 2x3.1; 1xUSB-C, 1x Ethernet
I also have a few firewire 400 and 800 drives I need to be able to connect and I'd like to have wifi (- nice to have: bluetooth).
From what I read so far I'm under the impression that I'll need separate PCIe cards for Wifi and firewire or am I wrong?
The TP-LINK ARCHER T9E for wifi is available also broadcomm modules, but the SYBA products for firewire are not sold here. Delock and DAWICONTROL on the contrary are.
What cards would you recommend for my case?

So, the real BIG question for me is now, what Motherboard to chose, there are quite some possibilities on the list?
And if there is a Mobo where the wifi(/bluetooth) works oob? I'll might go with this one, depending on the price tag.

I went through and plan to follow those successfull build guides

The less hassle, the better - even though I'm not afraid to learn and enter some commandlines as I have a very little bit of unix past.

So far I saw sucessfull builds on the
  • Asus Prime Z390-A and P
  • Designare-z390 (overkill for my needs) ;)
  • ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING
  • ASRock Z390 extrem4
From the existing guides and experiences I would go for the Asus Prime Z390-A and an ATX board (keeping the option for a second GPU later on) but I'm open for advice!

Thanks in advance!
I will try to keep track of my first build and post the result once it's done. :)

voiceardf thank you for the verbose post. Were you able to get this up and running successfully? I am trying with the same components (i5 9600k, Asus Prime z390-a, 32GB Crucial 3000MHz Ram, and two NVMe Samsung 970 Evo 500GB SSDs).

Cheers, I like your pic btw :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back