i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

My main monitor is detected as a TV after the 10.12.6 update. No other issues afaik. The display is running at it's correct resolution and I see no gfx issues, it's just the fact that it's labeled TV. This didn't happen in 10.12.3. Excerpt from system information.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 18.55.15.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 18.55.15.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 181
Where are you seeing that? In display preferences?

Where are you seeing that? In display preferences?

I see it in the system report. I took notice of it because the mirroring icon the menubar popped up and the "overscan" button is available in the display properties of the monitor in question, together with the option to display that menubar item whenever a TV is connected.

I assume you are using HDMI?

I had the same problem when I added a RX480 and used a DisplayPort connection to a Dell U2410 monitor.
"Television: Yes"
In my case it resulted in a number of resolution issues. To solve it I used a script to "force RGB edid override."
Google that phrase and see if it takes you in the right direction.

I assume you are using HDMI?
No, Displayport, weirdly enough.

I had the same problem when I added a RX480 and used a DisplayPort connection to a Dell U2410 monitor.
"Television: Yes"
In my case it resulted in a number of resolution issues. To solve it I used a script to "force RGB edid override."
Google that phrase and see if it takes you in the right direction.

- I do not have any resolution issues. I run the native resolution in 60hz and nothing is changed from before apart from Television: yes. Not sure if I should run that script when I do not have any issues? Thanks for the hint though, I saw it a while after posting this but was, and still feel unsure if it's a smart move to run it, when no other issues exist.

Now to the funny part of the equation: I hooked up the monitor in question to a Macbook air 2015 on the same macos version. IT TOO detects the monitor as a "Television: yes". Clearly this isn't a hackintosh issue but rather a macos one. In my case either way. I have a 32" BenQ 4k monitor.

Clearly this isn't a hackintosh issue but rather a macos one. In my case either way. I have a 32" BenQ 4k monitor.
It's still technically a hackintosh issue. I'm using a real mac too, but we're both using non-Apple monitors.
At least you have an idea about how to change it if needed in the future with an EDID override, but as you say it's not causing any issues I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone. My Dell 24" monitor is 6 years old, your BenQ obviously handles the resolutions better.

It's still technically a hackintosh issue. I'm using a real mac too, but we're both using non-Apple monitors.
At least you have an idea about how to change it if needed in the future with an EDID override, but as you say it's not causing any issues I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone. My Dell 24" monitor is 6 years old, your BenQ obviously handles the resolutions better.

Yeah from all I can tell there is absolutely no difference apart from that "Television: Yes" and the fact that I have a setting for overscan for a monitor. I'll just leave it as it is and if I ever see an issue with this, I'll revisit this EDID override business. As I've understood it, this EDID override can also be used/needed on genuine macs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back